home brewing workshop at SQM

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

home brewing workshop at SQM

Postby dsc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:30 am

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone from TMC is going to attend this workshop? I'm thinking about it, although I'm not sure if it's for beginners only, or for more advanced coffee geeks.

James maybe you can shed a little bit more light on this?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: home brewing workshop at SQM

Postby kingseven » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:40 pm

It will be getting the best out of each of the brewing methods covered. We'll go as far into detail as people want. The temp probes will certainly be out for the vacpot! I'll cover a little bit on TDS and strength and other bits and pieces.

If people have kit they want to bring along then that is also welcome. Just to be clear though - it is NOT about espresso. That is a whole other ballgame!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby dsc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi James,

well I'll be there:) just ordered the Saturday course and some Winter blend to keep me going through Christmas. I might bring my FP and maybe my Macap, but it all depends whether it's possible to get to the roastery using a car.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby dsc » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi again,

just out of curiosity, is anyone from TMC going to be there as well? it would be nice to put some faces to nicknames and chat.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Suppose Mark and I could always come... but then I feel we may be taking somebody else's place, who could really benefit.... rather than Mark and I just sitting at the back giggling as usual....
Mark?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Er, I've just realised this is a coffee forum ...... perhaps I would benefit ;). I'm pretty sure Jim could teach me loads of stuff :). We could all then giggle after at the state of dsc's car if he leaves it outside! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi guys,

We could all then giggle after at the state of dsc's car if he leaves it outside!

Haha, very funny :| ;)

Seriously though it would be cool if you could make it guys, although I'm not so sure I would get your jokes (as English is not my first language), but I guess I can giggle none-the-less and pretend:D

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby shuurajou » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:10 pm

How'd the first night go James?
shuurajou

Postby kingseven » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Had a few cancellations but it was a lot of fun. Gwilym was the only TMC member there - perhaps he will post at some point about it. I think Saturday's will be better - I think I've only 2 spaces left on it now.

kingseven

Postby Gwilym » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm

argh .. err .. erm..urrgh... on the spot here ...
canal was frozen, air was harsh - hard to pull myself from a warm stove but well worth going!
FRUSTRATING in that i have been around coffee for years and had to have my well established norms challenged.

ILLUMINATING in that I have done much coffee experimenting but this was fantastically geekish. for example the TDS was something I have never used before & explained clearly how extraction rates differ with water quality. Amazing how much better I can make the retail coffee I sell taste better (in London) if my customer filters their water

REWARDING in that i can now make better coffee at home

CHALLENGING - I have to now pass this on to my customers after telling them something else for years
Gwilym

re

Postby dsc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi guys,

how long did it last? I've got to leave at around 17:00 on Saturday and so was curious whether I will have to cut it short or if it's going to end by then.

So is anyone from TMC going to be there? Cakes? Dom?

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

RE: re

Postby kingseven » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:54 pm

It will probably be around 2 to 2 and a half hours, depending on how much coffee and coffee talk people can handle!

kingseven

Postby gwaant » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:40 am

I attended the Saturday session yesterday .... Thought it was great.

I think the biggest thing that I learnt was that just by being more methodical and using simple things like the scales/timer/your nose! are worth it, and can make a big difference.

Oh and that coffee doesn't need to be blow-your head off strong ... though my favorite from the day was the Kilimanjaro made in the Hario Siphon.

Now I am already an un-sufferable coffee snob to my friends (Though that is relative and not saying much considering that when I took some coffee and a hand grinder to some friends over Christmas, I ground the coffee and put it into a FP, my friend was horrified that it was all 'foaming up' when she poured the hot water in, she thought there was something wrong with the coffee or fairly liquid in the FP...:roll: ...) and I fear I am going to be even worse after this (he says looking for some scales in the cupboard to take to work for coffee tomorrow...)

Anyhow thanks James!
gwaant

Postby dsc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:47 am

Hi guys,

glad to hear it was good. Unfortunately I couldn't make it and will have to reschedule. So I'm guessing you were the only TMCer gwaant?

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby shuurajou » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:11 am

I can't wait for an espresso workshop - :twisted:. I'd have to take sabbatical off work for it though! lol
shuurajou

Return to Other Brewing Methods