Autumn blend from SMCR

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Autumn blend from SMCR

Postby dsc » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone here tried the new Autumn espresso blend from James and the crew? I switched to it this morning and 'oh my God' it's so good. Haven't discovered anything particular yet taste-wise, but it's just such a well balanced blend. No bitterness, no sourness, semi-sweet and oh so wonderful:) Tried it as a straight double and as a cuppa and I'm simply loving it!

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: Autumn blend from SMCR

Postby Styles » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, had a great shot of it from Gwilym this morning. Like it.
Styles

Postby Gwilym » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Did not want to big this blend up as i use it at work but now this box has been opened...... i am really enjoying working with this blend, check tasting it constantly through the day is a pleasure - will have to remember to spit though.
I am not looking forward to the winter blend. I fall in lust with a blend and the roaster gets all seasonal on us
Gwilym

Postby kingseven » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:54 pm

:(

But I am so excited about the Winter Espresso......

Glad you are enjoying it everyone, we love it too!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Gadders » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Just ordered a bag, looking forward to this :)
Gadders

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi again,

so James, when is the Winter blend going to appear?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby kingseven » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:57 pm

It is likely going to be unleashed in the first week of December, perhaps the second week.

kingseven

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Ok, gonna bump this thread in case anybody has forgotten!
I am busy drinking through a bag of this and it is simply gorgeous (just had a triple!)
Jim (or Anette), any comments on the thinking behind this blend, were you looking for a particular cup, or just having fun with the wonderful beans you have at your disposal?

For the record, I've never accepted any freebies or backhanders off SQM, because they have never offered me any :wink: I am open to offers though, I look good in a sandwich board, and I actually fit between the boards, whereas Cakey :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Tristan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Just for the record, in a winter espresso blend I want to be able to taste:

Cloves, Orange zest, Cinammon, Pine, Port, Cranberries, Chocolate (but the sort of chocolate you get in those coin things), Brazil Nuts, Dates, Cherries, Nutmeg, Anise, Bucks Fizz.

And if you really want to mkae my Christmas day special i'd like to taste: Frankinsense, Baubles, Sage, Onion, Turkey, Blue Cheese, Santa Clause, Snow and Wrapping Paper.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Re: RE: Autumn blend from SMCR

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Gouezeri wrote:I look good in a sandwich board, and I actually fit between the boards, whereas Cakey :lol:

Yeah, you fit between, but can you see over them? ;) :P

Tristan wrote:
Just for the record, in a winter espresso blend I want to be able to taste:

.................................... Bucks Fizz.

And if you really want to mkae my Christmas day special i'd like to taste: Frankinsense, Baubles, Sage, Onion, Turkey, Blue Cheese, Santa Clause, Snow and Wrapping Paper.

Hints of pop group and wrapping paper are a must in a good Christmas coffee ...... Santa has a bit too much body for me though ;) :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:55 pm

We're glad you are enjoying it!

The grand plan for the espresso isn't massively complicated - we are just looking for sweet clean coffees that we like, and to roast them transparently. Certain flavours are likely to pop up repeatedly over the year - just because we like espresso that is sweet and buttery and a touch fruity. We went for the overtly seasonal theme because that allowed us the freedom to buy the best of what was around and fresh and try to reinforce the seasonal nature of coffee a bit more. I hope this post isn't too self promotional.

kingseven

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Nope. Not at all. A question asked a question answered. We want TMC to be a place where users can ask a question of our commercial members, and get a decent reply.

Mark and I are very appreciative of the respect the vast majority of our commercial members have shown the site over the years. It makes being a mod that much easier for us!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the seasonal blends change over the year. Good, exciting coffee fun! My congrats to the team for the autumn blend though, I find it both unique and full of personality, but without being over the top, something I can quite happily drink daily. It also seems very forgiving to me, as I've played big differences of dose and shot times. Whilst I'll be sad when it's gone, I'm looking forward to the winter blend now!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Narra » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:42 pm

Tristan wrote:Just for the record, in a winter espresso blend I want to be able to taste:

Cloves, Orange zest, Cinammon, Pine, Port, Cranberries, Chocolate (but the sort of chocolate you get in those coin things), Brazil Nuts, Dates, Cherries, Nutmeg, Anise, Bucks Fizz.

Funnily enough, I saw that exact coffee on a side walk board outside Starbucks today.
Narra

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 am

Narra wrote:
Tristan wrote:Just for the record, in a winter espresso blend I want to be able to taste:

Funnily enough, I saw that exact coffee on a side walk board outside Starbucks today.

:lol: ....... especially the hints of wrapping paper eh? ;) :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Autumn blend from SMCR

Postby syscrusher » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:50 am

I just "got" the Autumn Espresso. I have to say, I'm putting it down to the new machine, because I couldn't get the balance right on Oscar, it tended to be overly bright (may have been flushing too much, not sure). But setting Brewtus to 94C (7C offset), setting the dose to about 18g, shot after shot, gorgeous. It's somewhat unfortunate that I finally was able to master this blend as it's just about ready to be replaced, but I'm happy that I did.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping