Aeropress - in espresso cups?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Aeropress - in espresso cups?

Postby namelessone » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:10 pm

I don't really have space for an espresso machine right now, and mostly use french filter to make my coffee. I do have a grinder (Dualit) though. I was thinking to use Aeropress to make espresso-style coffee, but I will prefer to drink it in smaller espresso cups and the contraption seems too big for smaller cups. Putting it into a pitcher first feels like it will cause too much temperature loss and the coffee will be cold afterwards. Any suggestions?
namelessone

RE: Aeropress - in espresso cups?

Postby Aadje » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Welcome namelessone . . :)

Maybe some funnel construction could help out?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 pm

Welcome namelessone :D. Yes, I agree with Aadje. A simple food grade funnel should do it as long as you are careful to keep it stable during extraction :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby SlowRain » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:25 am

How big are your cups? You can press with the AeroPress right into the funnel that it comes with. The two pieces are designed to fit together. But I don't know if that'll get you down to the size you need. Otherwise, just drink your espresso-style drinks from pre-heated, oversized cups. Tell everyone you're imitating fancy restaurants where a small portion of food gets placed on a plate the size of a hub cap (don't forget some sort of useless garnish beside it).
SlowRain

Postby Aadje » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 am

stable during extraction

Duct tape! :D
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Well you might get a definitive answer soon 'namelessone'. Alan Adler, the inventer of the Aerobie, just joined TMC! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby AlanAdler » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I definitely advise against brewing through a funnel into a small cup. It's not stable. Pre-heat a sturdy mug or measuring cup with hot water. Then press into that.

Best,

Alan
AlanAdler

Postby namelessone » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I've bought my Aeropress now, and the coffee I make I think is not really comparable to espresso.. I find it much more enjoyable in a big mug, distilled with quite a bit of hot water. It's somewhat like very good french press. It does seem to bring out the full flavor. I use a few notches below the medium in my dualit (same as solis) grinder. I have a question though, the instructions recommend pressing gentle, but when I press gently the cap doesn't seem to move down at all. It feels like I have to press quite hard to get it down anyway.
namelessone

Re: RE: Aeropress - in espresso cups?

Postby AlanAdler » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm

namelessone wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I've bought my Aeropress now, and the coffee I make I think is not really comparable to espresso.. I find it much more enjoyable in a big mug, distilled with quite a bit of hot water. It's somewhat like very good french press. It does seem to bring out the full flavor. I use a few notches below the medium in my dualit (same as solis) grinder. I have a question though, the instructions recommend pressing gentle, but when I press gently the cap doesn't seem to move down at all. It feels like I have to press quite hard to get it down anyway.

Hi namelessone,

If the plunger doesn't move at all you may be pressing too gently. The threshold of motion is about 12lbs with a lubricated seal. Try plunging into an empty AeroPress. If it's stiff, coat the seal edge with a tiny bit of vegetable oil.

I often rest my forearm on the plunger (just below the elbow), and just add a small amount of muscle. The plunger moves slowly until the end when the entire puck dries out and the plunger moves somewhat faster.

Another approach is to push about a centimeter beyond where you feel resistance, then hold that for about ten seconds (while the liquid flows) before pressing another centimeter. Repeat until the plunger bottoms.

I hope this helps, but if not, please get back to me.

Best,

Alan
AlanAdler

Postby johnny » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 am

SlowRain wrote: (don't forget some sort of useless garnish beside it).

Biscotti ?
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby SlowRain » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:58 pm

johnny wrote:
SlowRain wrote: (don't forget some sort of useless garnish beside it).

Biscotti ?

Biscotti actually has a purpose. You'll need something that is completely useless in that particular situation. What's the coffee equivalent of parsley?
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:57 pm

SlowRain wrote: You'll need something that is completely useless in that particular situation. What's the coffee equivalent of parsley?

Mark?
He's useless in most situations :twisted:
Gouezeri

Return to Other Brewing Methods