Another lamb to the slaughter

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Another lamb to the slaughter

Postby sicinius » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:39 pm

So I've lurked a bit, sunk some cash into starter kit and have a Zaffiro and a Gran Macinino grinder arriving Friday, with a proper tamper and a water kit.

Previously I''ve had an Orchestro which I got along reasonably well with. Trivially easy to use and not all that bad, or so it seemed to me. Funny, however, that my principal reason for buying it was I thought it would be less messy than a semi-automatic. It isn't really.

Anyway, I've always bought Lavazza Super Oro from Pennine for the Orchestro's version of espresso (see I'm learning already) and for years I've bought Double A Chagga from Higgins for the press pots. So my question is:-

"What beans do y'all recommend I start with on the Zaffiro?" :roll:
sicinius

RE: Another lamb to the slaughter

Postby lukas » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Welcome to the madhouse! Somebody will soon come along and recommend you all sort of things that'll keep your wallet empty, but I need to hurry now. See you ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Gary » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 pm

If your truly serious about brewing espresso at home then I suggest you buy your beans in small quantity's as you need them from one of the great online roasters we have in the UK. They will roast and ship them to you in a day or two. Just to name a few to try, Hasbean, James Gourmet Coffee and Square Mile coffee roasters. Had coffees from all three and not a single bad word to say about any of them. Hope that helps you get started
Gary

Postby espressomattic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 pm

Experiment experiment experiment...don't tye yourself to just one...lots of options to enjoy enjoy enjoy!!!!

BTW Welcome.
espressomattic

Postby sicinius » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:45 pm

espressomattic wrote:Experiment experiment experiment.

OK. Formula 6 and Brazilian Cachoeira coming from James and Autumn Roast from Square Mile.
sicinius

Postby espressomattic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:58 pm

I guess it aalso depends on what you like in a coffee. It isn't dependant on the machine IMHO. It is dependant on what you like.

Are you after Earthy Beans, Acidic, bright, floral, full bodied etc.

I am going through a 'brighter' phase with beans, but saying that I have a Mandheling cooling right now which is about as earthy as you get....let us know how you get on please!
espressomattic

Postby Gary » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:38 pm

Good choices! Just enjoying the last of my autumn espresso right now as a capp. Im sure you['ll be wired for the next few days!lol
Gary

Postby sicinius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:13 am

Wired is right.
Are you after Earthy Beans, Acidic, bright, floral, full bodied etc.
The answer now is that I'm not sure as I'm only used to the chocolatey caffeiney Super Oro beans from Lavazza in espresso. Although I enjoyed what the Krups delivered (more than anything I've had in Starbucks or Primo etc) you couldn't call it a complex taste and it didn't seem to do much with anything other than strong, dark roasted full bodied stuff.

In a press pot, I like the fruity, floral acidity of Double A Chagga, a lightly acidic, floral and fruity Tanzanian coffee which we've been buying for 30 years from Higgins in Dover St.

I tend to like things plain but perfect, which is why I've gone for the best espresso machine I can afford as an experiment. I'm a bit appalled by latte art, I have to say, though as an amateur artist, I might come round to it.

Incidentally, I have a friend at Sciences Po who has a student researching into caffeine and its effects who claims that it's the coffee you drink between 6:30 and 8:30 that keeps you awake, not the one you drink after dinner.
sicinius

Postby GreenBean » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:39 am

Welcome to TMC Sicinius.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:08 am

Welcome Sicinius :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby sicinius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I look forward to sharing my teething troubles :wink:
sicinius

Postby fred25 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 pm

don't worry mate, you don't need your teeth to enjoy a cuppa :P

Welcome to TMC, Sicinius! :D
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby Joris » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:53 am

Welcome Sicinius
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Gadders » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:20 am

Try the HB Yemen for sweet chocolate epic espresso.
Gadders

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping