Ghiradelli chocolate sauce

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ghiradelli chocolate sauce

Postby AlanP » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:00 pm

Does Ghiradelli's chocolate sauce have a shelf life?
I occasionally like a moka,maybe once every couple of weeks and a bottle would probably last me upto a year.Does it go off?
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby RobC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:12 pm

Alan,

I have quite a bit of experience of this product, and while off the top of my head I can't remember the best before date I'm fairly sure it should last for a minimum of six months. The 64floz container will produce 128 Mocha's (half a fluid ounce per drink), for a hot chocolate a full fluid ounce should be used. If you use the dispensing pump supplied then there is a bit of a problem getting the last dregs from the bottom - the best way is to warm the bottle in a sink of warm water to melt the sauce a bit then poor it out (when warming always leave the top open - I'm reliably informed that the air expansion in the bottle while warming builds pressure in a sealed bottle - and finally opening it results in a chocolate explosion.

I have heard of isolated cases where when used sporadically over a long period mould can develop on the pump shaft inside the bottle - although this could be due to very humid warm cafe environments.

For best length of life you could just use the bottle with the screw top as provided standard, and if you have a big fridge keep it refrigerated to extend the life.

For a more definate answer you could try e-mailing the manufacturer:-

http://www.ghirardelli.com/

I hope this helps, it does make wicked Mocha although a bit sweet for my taste.

Rob
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby AlanP » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Thanks Rob,very useful.
I mentioned Ghiradelli because it seemed to be the one most people recommend,however,like yourself, I don't go for things too sweet is there a 'not so sweet' chocolate sauce available
AlanP

Postby RobC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:13 pm

Unfortunately I can't help, it's the only reasonable chocolate sauce I have come across. It would be great to hear if any other TMC members know of other brands though!

I do have one customer who actually buys Belgian chocolate "buttons" and then steams them with milk to make a rich hot chocolate - I presume the same theory could be used to make a lighter milk/chocolate combo to make a Mocha with using a preferred chocolate. Maybe even standard bars of chocolate like Cadbury's would work broken up? I always feel with Moka the key is to ensure you don't overwhelm the underlying espresso with chocolate taste - it should be a rich fusion of both chocolate and coffee flavours.

Rob
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby AlanP » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:29 pm

The lady who owns our village coffee shop told me that when she makes a Mocha for herself she pours the espresso in last.She says it stops the chocolate overpowering the coffee flavour.
AlanP

Postby RobC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:17 pm

Sounds similar to a layered latte/mocha - where you brew your espresso into a shot pot/espresso cup and then pour into the steamed milk or chocolate over an upturned spoon so the espresso floats. Best in a latte glass - just need to make sure the milk isn't too hot or the espresso sinks because it is cooler!
RobC

Postby pault » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:51 am

Can I suggest this thread is renamed ... "for those that like alcopops"??

Mutter, mutter - chocolate in coffee .... haaaaaruuuummmphhhhh :harrumph:
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby RobC » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:58 am

I bet when no-one is looking Paul slips a quick shot of Caramel flavouring into his latte, just to enhance the complex flavours of course! ;-)
RobC

Postby AlanP » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:48 pm

A lot of people like the taste of chocolate with their coffee,it just varies in how they get it
Quote:pault Dec 4 2004
I always find myself eating chocolate with coffee - because they both contain caffeine? But hate it when chainstores put powdered chocolate on top of my coffee (especially after I've specifically asked them not too)!
Unquote

I couldn't drink a mocha every day, but now and again,as an indulgence, accompanied by a packet of freshly opened digestive biscuits makes me feel positively sinful.Simple pleasures hey ho...... :D
AlanP

Postby josh_robb » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:51 am

Has anyone got a retail source for this chocolate sauce? (in london?) I'm sure that I could score bonus points with my housemates (all girls) by obtaining some of this.

(You know - chocolate doesn't fix everything - but it's always a good start).
"FrankenGaggia" Coffee Deluxe (with Silvia Steamwand)
*$ Barista (Solis 166) Grinder
George Foreman "Baby George Rotisserie" custom Roaster
josh_robb

Postby AlanP » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:09 pm

Online: www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk (about £14 for 64floz + £7 p&p)
You devious little ! ..........good luck josh
AlanP

cheeky

Postby pault » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:53 pm

[quote="AlanP"]A lot of people like the taste of chocolate with their coffee,it just varies in how they get it
Quote:pault Dec 4 2004
I always find myself eating chocolate with coffee - because they both contain caffeine? But hate it when chainstores put powdered chocolate on top of my coffee (especially after I've specifically asked them not too)!
Unquote

quoting me against myself!!! :twisted:

seriously, I'd still say there's a difference between playing off the taste of chocolate against a coffee as opposed to dousing the drink itself in liquid - bit like matching food with wine as opposed to adding wine to your food???
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby AlanP » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:31 pm

pault
No offence meant :)
I agree,I love a piece of chocolate with my espresso aswell
I disagree with your analogies of 'alcopops' and 'adding wine to your food' though, but then if we all agreed all of the time what a boring world we'd live in.
Hope you're winning your battle with the chainstores
Alan

''I may disagree with what you say but I defend your right to say it''
AlanP

Postby pault » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:40 pm

no offence taken - but I'm still interested in why you disagree with my analogies ...

alcopops are based on the idea of making the taste of alcohol nice and sweet, chocolate coffee is to take away the bitter taste and make it sweet - no?? So I still think the mentality is the same.

eating chocolate with a coffee may blend the flavours - but much more subtly and each substance still retains its essentially different taste - the way the chocloate and coffee contrast and complement each other is much more controlled ... and like I said it's a similar (not exactly the same obviously) basis to how you seek to match good wine and food - they bring out the best in each other. I would match a nice red wine with a steak but I wouldn't cook the steak in a very good wine - following your logic you would??

Best,

Paul.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby pault » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:48 pm

before I harm the pleasant tone on this site - I didn't mean that post to sound snippy in any way - I am genuinely interested in the question rather than just trying to score points ...

I realise it could make me sound like a coffee-fundamentalist but it wasn't meant that way ...
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Next

Return to Off Topic