Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Postby GreenBean » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Some time ago I developed a coffee cupping database for a well known speciality coffee roaster (I have not mentioned the name here in case it would be considered advertising).

I have recently completely rewritten a multi-platform version of the program and, as it may be of interest to some of you, have made it available for free download (with the kind permission of the said speciality coffee roaster).

The program is intended to help individuals involved in coffee cupping to manage records of their cupping sessions and the associated data. Cupping data is shown in both tabular and spider diagram form.

For further information, or to download visit the Downloads/Software section of TMC or click here.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:39 pm

GreenBean thank you for this and all the other excellent software that you have so kindly shared with us all. Your hard work and support of the community is massively appreciated :D

There are no worries about advertising, you don't work with/for or have any commercial interest in the business concerned. On that note, grateful thanks as well to Steve for supporting the release for the benefit of the collective (sorry, inadvertant Star Trek references again :oops: ;) :lol:) :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Postby GreenBean » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:15 pm

CakeBoy wrote:There are no worries about advertising, you don't work with/for or have any commercial interest in the business concerned.

Sadly that's true, otherwise I would be able to afford to go around in footy shirts all the time too. :? :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:19 pm

:lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Wow. Havent looked at it but will - very very very cool. Thank you!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Making this a sticky :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Aadje » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Unfortunately I have a MacOS X Tiger based MacBook :( But that doesn't hide the fact I find this initiative truly great!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:24 am

Darn it, good spot Mark, I should have made this a sticky earlier!
The program looks great GB. I'll be sure to check it out. One small idea that crossed my mind (all my ideas tend to be small :roll:): ss there some kind of print out table that can be used to make hand notes (on a sheet of A4) that can then be transfered to the system afterwards?
Well done on what I'm sure will become a very useful piece of software!
Now I just need to improve my cupping skills, though I think this might actually help with that!
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Re: RE: Re: RE: Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks guys, I hope you find it useful. Now that CakeBoy has outed Steve as the brains behind this program I want to make it clear that the program was conceived by Steve and is based on his specifications and cupping methodology/forms. He was heavily involved in developing the original (Windows only) version so if you like the program pass your praise on to Steve :D. This particular (multi-platform) implementation of the program has not been tested by Steve so if you do not like the program, it does not do what you want or you find bugs please pass your criticisms on to me :oops:.

Aadje wrote:Unfortunately I have a MacOS X Tiger based MacBook :( But that doesn't hide the fact I find this initiative truly great!

It is so regrettable that Apple are dragging their feet over issuing Java SE 6 for all their systems. It is two years since Sun issued it for all the other operating systems. Hopefully they will get their finger out soon.

Gouezeri wrote:Is there some kind of print out table that can be used to make hand notes (on a sheet of A4) that can then be transferred to the system afterwards?D

A very good idea and easy to implement. I will add this for a future revision.

GreenBean

Re: RE: Re: RE: Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:47 pm

GreenBean wrote:
Gouezeri wrote:Is there some kind of print out table that can be used to make hand notes (on a sheet of A4) that can then be transferred to the system afterwards?D

A very good idea and easy to implement. I will add this for a future revision.

Cool. My line of thinking was some kind of table, covering the main elements (possibly customisable?) in the same order as in the software. So, when cupping you can fill out a nice little form in pencil, that can then be input at ease at a later point... preferably by someone else :wink: I wonder if there may be a good way to share these notes/profiles?
When I get chance, I'll see if I can test it (for printing in particular) under Gentoo.
Gouezeri

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Postby espressomattic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:11 pm

I tried to download, but ended up with the roasting database...again???

Help?????
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:42 pm

It seems to be working fine now if you want to try again. :oops:

GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Cool, got it, but now Sun won't download, keeps dropping out.

*Sigh*

I'll need to give you a call Cakey for some 'Technical' support!!!
espressomattic

Postby espressomattic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:51 am

OK Installed the latest Java, but I get this message:

Could not find the main class: Cuppingdatabase.CuppingDataBaseApp. Program will exit

So can anyone help???????

Cheers

Technomattic :P
espressomattic

Postby BazBean » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:32 am

you BROKE the INTERNET !

sheeesh !
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping