Indian Balmadi Natural Processed

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Chrisweaver » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Argh I'm afraid to say I wholeheartedly disagree with the fact that I can't identify cow dung as I haven't eaten cow dung. When I refer to tasting the cow dung in the Indian Balmadi. I am referring to the olfactory sensation I feel when I cup the coffee. Spraying the liquid over my pallete, and allowing the aroma and vapour to travel to my olfactory region.

Taste is purely the effect of the tastebuds, sweet, sour, umami etc. Flavours such as strawberry, or cow dung are infact determined in the olfactory region, which, when I smell cow dung, is the same region picking up the flavours.

Sorry for long winded response guys!
Chrisweaver

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:14 pm

So you mean we have all eaten cow dung after all ...... poooooooo :( ;) :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Chrisweaver » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:16 pm

"tasted" at the very least ha haa
Chrisweaver

Postby lukas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:20 pm

Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 am

They make me want to cry .......... :cry:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:28 am

I Love TMC.

Where else can you get such a serious discussion of the key issues associated with our passion, with so many well argued points of view, AND get to laugh so much you spill your morning coffee? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby kingseven » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:26 am

Though interestingly with strawberry - some of its key flavours are enzymatically produced. If you smell a strawberry it is different to how it tastes when you eat as the process of eating and breaking down the cell walls is what creates part of the flavour of fresh strawberry. This is one of the reasons it is so hard to reproduce artificially.

For a similar experiment you can take an unbroken leaf of rosemary and smell it (nice and fragrant and quite 'soft'), and then tear it in half and smell it and you create a much more eucalyptal and 'hard' aroma.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby quoad » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:33 am

*skips last several posts :shock:*

Just had my first cup!

I approve! Gosh. Int-er-est-ingg........

(though I'm getting some sherry-flavoured blueberries off it, and have yet to pinpoint the strawberry manure :? :D :shock: )
quoad

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping