Beer for the coffee lover in you

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby PeterAG » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:47 pm

I seem to remember that the original Guiness ( the inventor, J. Arthur was it??) sold his soul to the devil for the secret of making the stout taste good.The secret was the water of the River Liffey(spelling??)which flows through the centre of Dublin

P
Dualit 84009
Dualit Grinder
Heat Gun Roaster

><>
PeterAG

Postby wang » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:44 pm

Haha, that river is FILTHY. I pass by it all the time - it is truely revolting. You'd need to be hosed down by a biohazard squad if you took a dip in it.
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby HughF » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:14 pm

phil wrote:The godforsaken place is Park Royal, London. London Guinness always tastes worse than Dublin Guinness. From my brewing days I believe it to be the water that is the main reason for this.

PJ

Many years ago, I was told that the London Guinness was pasteurised and the Dublin version was not; it might not be true today though. The water will make a difference too, as you say.

You could try Guinness Foreign Extra stout in small bottles, stronger (7% ABV?) and sweeter than standard Guinness with (I think) almost a coffee taste within it, it's very nice. A few off licences carry it now, it's apparently what they sell to Nigeria.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:23 pm

Many, many years ago I used to use bottled London Guinness to provide yeast from which to brew beer. It can't have been pasteurised then!
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby steves » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:33 pm

Well, that depends. How successful was your brewing? :wink:
steves