The smell of coffee

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The smell of coffee

Postby kingseven » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:56 pm

Its got to be one of the most evocative smells - but what does it remind you of/make you nostalgic about?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby simonp » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:56 pm

It makes me think of good food. Why? Well I first started drinking proper coffee when I would go out for a nice meal. OK the coffee probably good by my standards today, and probably well below the standard of the food, but that smell reminds me of being nicely fed and satisfied.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby pault » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:45 pm

Well since I'm the site's token Freudian ...

it's an earthy natural smell and the beans are effectively seeds, birth, life etc. ...

so - we subconsciously associate the smell with a positive life force, climbing back into the amniotic sack of Mother Earth ...

what's that siren outside? who are those men with the white coats? that's an interesting jacket with lots of buckles and fasteners ... HHHEEELLPPPP!!!!!!!!!
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby mnemonix » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:20 pm

it sometimes remind me of the anticipation to be had smelling the sticky red resinous substance i enjoyed in my ahem, student days. did someone mention sirens outside ? i'll be off then...
mnemonix

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:24 pm

it reminds me of a lot of work to be done :(
Steve
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:30 pm

It reminds me of the smell of a simply heavenly drink, as long as it's roasted dark enough of course ;)
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:13 am

pault wrote:Well since I'm the site's token Freudian ...

it's an earthy natural smell and the beans are effectively seeds, birth, life etc. ...

Paul, you forgot the whole symbolism of water for rebirth as well...
Hope the jacket is a nice snug fit :D
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby Joey » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:57 am

before my shop I would have said - "warmth, a peaceful get together of relatives, friends, aromas, kitchen, friendliness, cakes & cookies somewhere near, home,...."

but when I smell coffee now in the shop, first things that pop up in my mind are: what origin is that? did they make it properly? do the guests look satisfied? ;-)

nah, seriously, I still find the smell very warming, soothing, friendly....

Two days ago I could smell the coffee on the way to the shop - 3 parking lots near to it.... it was a great smell. I hope it will attract others, too....

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby davidd » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:51 pm

Francoise Hardy! :shock:
About 35 years ago I was madly in love with (totally unrequited of course) my musical heroine, and bought all of her LP's from a record shop in Bedford. The shop was at the end of an arcade, halfway along which was a coffee shop which had a huge (or so it seemed then) brass/copper roaster. The smell of roasting coffee pervaded the whole area, and I am transported back there whenever I roast or smell roasting coffee.
It has always been one of life's greatest disappointments (and one that I am constantly trying to resolve) that coffee - no matter how good - never tastes like it smells :cry:
davidd

Postby Joey » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:25 pm

davidd wrote:It has always been one of life's greatest disappointments (and one that I am constantly trying to resolve) that coffee - no matter how good - never tastes like it smells :cry:

found that out about cigars and pipes...>sigh< :cry:
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

existential angst!!!

Postby pault » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:56 pm

The institution with the barred windows I'm now in give me access to a lap-top once a day ...

I'm writing a paper that involves a convoluted section upon existential angst and the innate contingency of reality (oooh er) - was depressing myself with my own words - so logged on here for some light relief and find some existential complaints about life's great disappointments ...

:cry: :cry:

nurse! nurse!
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Re: existential angst!!!

Postby davidd » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:07 am

pault wrote:I'm writing a paper that involves a convoluted section upon existential angst and the innate contingency of reality (oooh er) - was depressing myself with my own words - so logged on here for some light relief and find some existential complaints about life's great disappointments ...:cry: :cry:

Paul. As I said in my posting, it's the resolution rather than the complaint that's important - I spend a lot of time trying to overcome the angst by finding a solution ( a cup that tastes as good as it smells). Without the angst I probably wouldn't have got involved in the world of coffee, and wouldn't have met all you great people. Let us know when visiting time is -we'll try to smuggle in some beans for you (let us know which!).
davidd

Re: existential angst!!!

Postby pault » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:46 pm

davidd wrote: Let us know when visiting time is -we'll try to smuggle in some beans for you (let us know which!).

Ooh, ooh, the Jimmy Tarbuck gene's taking over .... how about smuggling in a nice nutty roast?? (boom, boom, it's the way I tell em) :lol:
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Return to Off Topic