Choice of web browser

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Choice of web browser

Postby phil » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:59 pm

Disclaimer:

This is definitely me being partisan here. Hopefully the matter is sufficiently close to relevant (with this being a web site and all) for you to forgive me for this indulgence.

I've just been testing the latest article on Internet Explorer. I use Firefox myself, both on Windoze and Linux. There are some oddities in IE where it incorrectly interprets things like widths and margins. This is quite evident if you look at the second photo in the new Mazzer Mini E review.

I thought about bodging the style sheet but I can't be bothered.

Firm recommendation: for the site to look its best (and as intended) you need to use a Gecko-based browser such as Firefox.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby davidd » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:42 pm

Phil. Not sure how the site is 'intended' to look - I use Safari on Mac OSX - and the site looks PDG to me. David
davidd

Postby phil » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:58 pm

Fair enough David. We have a number of Mac afficionados amongst the membership (and my son is one too) so if anything gets out of line someone is bound to tell me.

The second photo down in the Mazzer article is too far to the right. Basically the margins are not correct under IE.

Not to worry. I'm too close to this stuff, so I'm a bit sensitive about how it's intended to look.

Thanks for the compliment anyway.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby quink » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:45 pm

The only problem I've ever had wih the rendering of the site is some of the fonts having he tops & bottoms missing if that makes sense, but I think thats a problem with my Mozilla settings, other than that I've never noticed a difference between windoze browsers or linux ones here. I'll have a look though

EDIT: tell a lie, if you use the quick reply in mozilla and click on smilies it just opens up a small window with the page I'm looking at in it. does firefoxfix this one Phil??
quink

Postby michel » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:55 pm

Little of topic: At home I use a 800x600 screen and not all the TMC info fits on it... So I can't read posts easy because I alway's have to scroll from the left to the right and backwards... Am I the only one????
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby davidd » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:56 pm

quink wrote: tell a lie, if you use the quick reply in mozilla and click on smilies it just opens up a small window with the page I'm looking at in it.

Ditto with Safari. :?
davidd

Postby davidd » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:01 pm

Sorry for the off-topic response but had to say - Michel, Love the 'Terence' tag line. It's one I used to use myself. Nothing that is .... except football.
davidd

Postby phil » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:16 pm

Quink, David:

Oh yeah so it does (Firefox, basically Mozilla with the knobs pulled off).

Just tried it in IE and it does nowt at all! (although I need to kill Zone Alarm to make sure this isn't a firewall artifact. Later)

We're about to upgrade to PNphpBB2 v 1.2g (latest, most stable version of our forum software) and if the problem persists after the upgrade I'll look into it.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:35 pm

Being a Mac user, I switched long ago to Safari and mozilla clones as IE isn´t really an alternative for me anymore. But even in Windows it is less than perfect nowadays. To me, it seems the IE team have stopped doing good things about the actual web page rendering/web standards support of IE a long time ago. One keeps hoping to get those old bugs stomped in the next version leap, but it fails to happen every time.
PNG transparency? CSS1 bugfixes? CSS2 support? Naaah, I gave up hope last year and now tell people to use Firefox (or any other mozilla based browser) instead.

Let it be said clearly to all fellow members of the TMC: try Firefox for a week, a day, even a half hour, then see if you ever want to use IE again.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Raf » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:32 am

Ha, I'm a Firefox convert myself. Been using Mozilla before that, but I don't need all the bells & whistles. If only I could find a decent mail client now with a calendar and contacts list, I'd be fine. I tried Thunderbird, but I can't seem to import all my e-mails (there's about 15 000 of them in my inbox, and 10 000 that Phil sent me about the site, and another 10 000 of my replies ;) )
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:00 am

Love Thunderbird, wouldn't want to go back.

So keep IE to deal with archived pst files and move the most recent stuff to Thunderbird.

I keep meaning to try the Calendar extension, but I keep forgetting. I've installed it a couple of times and then lost it when I upgraded (I think).

Actually I do wonder if a web based calendar solution isn't better these days, unless you sit behind the same desk all the time (I don't). Anyone got any recommendations?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:01 pm

phil wrote:Actually I do wonder if a web based calendar solution isn't better these days, unless you sit behind the same desk all the time (I don't). Anyone got any recommendations?

iCalendar :wink:
If not solely for private use, you might try TeamAgenda. They have a 30 days tryout version available. I used it and was administrator for it for a year or so - I think it is a good solution for a small-to-medium sized network of people. Available as web interface only, local interface only or both web and local. All three versions work with a calendar server that you can setup on an Apache server, for instance. Comparatively cheap and lightyears of a difference in setup and administration from Outlook or the other big players, thank God (and the TA team) for that.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:16 pm

With IE the smiles window opens up with Firefox I get a new window with the forum in it. Thats my only problem.
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Off Topic