Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

TMC and Politics

Postby phil » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:44 pm

An announcement and an apology.

Firstly, let us be totally clear:

TMC is not about politics.

'Nuff said.

What is this about?

For a long time now TMC has been syndicating "coffee news" (my quotes) from another website (www.aboutcoffee.net) in order to provide interesting content on the front page. However, I have had a number of complaints that the author of this news feed , an American called Robert Badgett , has allowed his content to stray from coffee related matters and into blatant political discussion.

TMC does not want to publish this stuff. Apparently the members don't want us to either, and I don't blame them.

The syndication of the About Coffee news feed has been suspended and replaced with a feed of interesting coffee articles from our friends at "I Need Coffee".

You may recognise a number of the articles too - they're originally from TMC!

Phil
Last edited by phil on Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:59 pm

I couldn't agree more - I'm a member of another online forum (nothing to do with coffee) where they had so many discussions turn into nothing more than a slanging match over whether Bush or Gore would make a better President. Before long people were doing nothing other than trading personal insults.

Whatever your politics doesn't change the fact that coffee tastes good :)
Now the only remaining task is to convince everyone that dark roasts are better :wink:
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby kingseven » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:09 pm

Yup - so much truth in "never discuss religion or politics with friends"
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby quink » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:40 pm

Definitely something to stay clear of, I've seen several websites recently where all the discussion was about Bush & Kerry. Although I'll hold my hand up and say I didn't notice any difference in the front page untill reading this thread :oops:
quink

Postby pault » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:44 pm

a big thank you to Phil on this one - I was one of the ones who complained a while back on one of Badgett's articles and posted my complaint to Badgett which to be fair to him he did publish.

Coffee can be political - 3rd World issues, globalisation etc. but the stuff I was complaining about was thinly veiled partisan stuff about a highly charged part of the world with coffee just being used as a thin disguise ...

I hope we can all steer clear of slanging matches on this site - it's one of the things that makes it so much nicer than the big one across the pond!!

cheers,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby davidd » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:43 pm

tisri wrote:Now the only remaining task is to convince everyone that dark roasts are better :wink:

Agree about the 'politics', now what about 'religion'? (the dark-roast fundamentalists et al.) :roll:
davidd

Postby tisri » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:24 pm

davidd wrote:
tisri wrote:Now the only remaining task is to convince everyone that dark roasts are better :wink:

Agree about the 'politics', now what about 'religion'? (the dark-roast fundamentalists et al.) :roll:

I think it's clear that anyone who doesn't at least edge into second crack deserves to be burned at the stake. Public humiliation and crucifixition optional for repeat offenders :wink:
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Return to Site Announcements