BOOKS.

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

BOOKS.

Postby walts » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:04 pm

Hi. Just struck me that there is no section on Coffee Books. Now that is strange to say the least. Lets face it, most of have need to read up on this most fascinating subject. Coffee grinding, brewing and drinking being the mainstay of our humble existence, so to speak. Dare I open up a can of worms to say that I now own two lovely books on Coffee?

I originally bought a second hand copy of Claudia Rodens book, "Coffee. A conoiseurs companion" which to me was a very exciting adventure into the realm of Coffee in all it's various aspects. Beautiful illustrations too by Murray Zanoni. I musy have read it several times already and will be reading it again. Great buy. This one is the hard back edition, in mint condition and cost me $2 plus $5 shipping from the states.

This morning I was fortunate enough to be able to buy another second hand book, this time by Kenneth Davids. "The Coffee Book". Lovely book and although on a similar vein to Claudia Rodens, it covered much that was new and different. Again, beautifully illustrated, paper back edition, in mint condition, I was delighted to get it for the princely sum of £2.99. After a preliminary glance through it, I am looking forwards to settling down to be entertained by what appears to be a very competent author.

Regards. Walt.
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

yep!

Postby pault » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:48 pm

Being as obsessed with books as I am with coffee - thanks for the heads up on the ones you mentioned.

One of these days I'm determined to do a full article reviewing a number of coffee related books but something always crops up to get in the way :oops:

the most interesting book I've come across so far is "The Devil's Cup" (reviewed on this site) - not so much about the nitty-gritty of coffee as the politics, history, culture etc. - fascinating stuff, I can honestly say I would have enjoyed it even if I wasn't interested in coffee (forgive the blasphemy).

all the best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby walts » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:02 pm

Hi Paul. Thanks for the comment on "The Devils Cup" Saw that listed on the web last night and thought....Hmmm! I wonder if thats okay? If what you say is anything to go by, then I will treat myself and maybe be a little more educated on all things Coffee. Thanks Paul. Regards. Walt.
walts

Postby phil » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:20 pm

Re Books:

Home page. Articles & Reviews menu. Section "Books etc". It's been there for some time.

There's a review of "The Devils Cup". I just checked and the publication date on the article is late April.

I'm waiting for a review of "A Dark History" (Jim has promised one haven't you mate). Anyone else wants to write a review about anything coffee related just send it to Raf or I and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

Phil
Last edited by phil on Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby pault » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:13 pm

should also add there's a new book just out about the rise of the coffee house and how it led to the industrial revolution, the Enlightenment and everything but the kitchen sink!!

will get my act together and review a few of the books I've already got ...
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby walts » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:57 am

Did I say "A Can of Worms"? Yikes. I am so pleased I came in with my comment. Now I can look forwards to a great time sipping my coffee and reading the book reviews. I knew joining this group was going to be one of the best things I ever did. Walt.
walts

Postby zix » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:58 pm

Oh, and there is Kenneth Davis´"Home coffee roasting" also. A good introduction to roasting and blending, and with a lovely story in one of the first chapters..
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Books

Postby walts » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:12 pm

Just finished reading Stewart Lee Allens book The Devils Cup. What a read. Cannot think when I last enjoyed a book like that. Not sure what I expected when I bought it, but boy oh boy it sure exceeded all my expectations. I would heartily recomend it to any real coffee lover. If I have a grouse, then it is the small one of Stewart using the word 'Bismillah' for 'Allah willing', or, 'If Allah wills'. Bismillah means 'In the name of Allah' and the correct word for 'If Allah wills' is 'Isha'allah'. Just a minor slip, but it is better to have it right. If you haven't read this book, read it as soon as you can as I would call it a 'must read' for any coffee adict.
walts

not exactly books ...

Postby pault » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:57 am

would never normally buy it - but needed something to read on the train and noticed that "National Geographic" has an article all about caffeine.

Quite interesting - but I can't remember reading anything anywhere that does full justice to the different implications of the different ways of consuming the raw drug of caffeine - and this article doesn't do that either.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I suspect that taking caffeine in the form of coffee is less harmful than other ways because nature has a way of providing counterbalancing compounds etc. - but perhaps I just need to stop hugging this tree ... :)

talking of possible drawbacks to caffeine - I find it can make me perspire a bit from time to time - which is a bit awkward if it isn't time for my monthly bath :P

seriously, anyone notice a similar effect?

best,

Paul.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Raf » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:57 am

For the real diehards out there: "The structural transformation of the public sphere" (Strukturwandel der Öffentlichkeit) by Jürgen Habermas has a chapter on the importance of coffee houses on the emancipation of information (i.e. freedom of speech). 8)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby pault » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:39 am

oh, so National Geographic not good enough for Raf :roll:

right I'm off to find a little known interview Jean Paul Sartre did shortly before his death when he claimed that after years of reflection, dosers were the deepest existential problem facing humanity ...
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:09 am

In which case I would have to retort with a piece on dosers and Lacanian desire or Merleau-Ponty and how dosers are an integral part of our "Abschattung," despite Pault's mauvaise foi :-P
On a more serious note... anyone looking for rare or secondhand books should try: http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/
Might not look much but it works well and I use it all the time (just using a keyword of coffee should give you plenty to go on, with books starting at around $3, however, beware the dreaded postage!).
D
Gouezeri

Postby pault » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:19 am

Wasn't Merleau-Ponty a Belgian centre-forward who played for Stoke City in the 1970s?

I didn't realise he was coffeenut ...

and seriously for a minute - we should start a Philosophy thread, when I have time I'll do an article on Heidegger and tampers (don't laugh!) and I'm sure Lacan's "Mirror Stage" has relevance to all our shiny chrome machines!

best,

Paul.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:23 am

you actually think my silvia returns my gaze?
Gouezeri

Postby pault » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:27 am

"my siliva" - forget Lacan, we're in Freudian territory now - ooh, ooh, I'm off to polish my tamper ...
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Next

Return to Off Topic