Yemen Mokha Matrar..... wow

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:43 am

Depends how badly the muffin maker wanted rid of me ...... probably then :( :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby icke » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:20 pm

does anybody have a roast level recommendation for the yemen matrar?
wanted to roast some tonight and was just about to look at the cupping/roasting notes at hasbean to find that it's gone from the website. sold out i guess...

any suggestions?

cheers,
o
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby bruceb » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:26 pm

As said above, just to second crack. It's probably better to dump it early if you're not sure. When overroasted it takes on a strong, unpleasant crude-oil character. (My subjective experience)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby icke » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 pm

had only scanned the above and not seen it... :oops: thanks though.
dumped the beans at the very first of the a hint of 2nd. :D
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby technojock » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:24 am

icke wrote:...was just about to look at the cupping/roasting notes at hasbean to find that it's gone from the website. sold out i guess...

For future reference...go to www.coffeeinfo.co.uk and click on "Tasting Notes". Find & click "Yemen" in the list...and there it is.
: Heatgun / Dualit / French Press / Aeropress :
technojock

Postby icke » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:09 pm

so it was on hasbean in the end :) - thanks technojock

interesting though that steve thinks it should be roasted a bit darker:
http://www.coffeeinfo.co.uk/ wrote:Dark roast this one. Into second crack is best. But you don’t want those oils on show just before. BEWARE its chaffy, very chaffy.
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Stevibabes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:32 pm

I can't see it listed on the Has Bean site any more :cry:
Stevibabes

Postby Stevibabes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:34 pm

Ah, okay, it's simply not in stock again.
Stevibabes

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:03 am

Tends to be a guest bean, and its tough to get good Yemen, as its so wildly processed.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:34 am

Had 2 roast side by side this week. One was dark and into 2nd C as per notes and the second just on the cust I reckon.

The first was disgusting. Nasty, crude, dirty smokey - just plain horrid

The second was better - Nice smooth balance. However in day three I got this yuck like potato taste that lingered in my mouth for ages. Day four and it was much better again with that woodyness really coming out and a great red crema.

This is a really interesting bean because it is so hard to nail and get it right. It doesn't sit in milk drinks at all. From a purist POV it gives a lot of interest, it is uniquly different. For an everyday drink, nah wouldn't go there. I can only manage a couple of cups a day of it.

One taste that comes through on reflection is a real leathery taste...anyway back to Canario this week :)
espressomattic

Postby Walter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:03 pm

espressomattic wrote:The second was better - Nice smooth balance. However in day three I got this yuck like potato taste that lingered in my mouth for ages.

Potato??? :shock:
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby psychomansam » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:11 pm

just picked up a 2kg bag.... really looking forward to hottopping it -- scared now!!!

:)
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Walter wrote:
espressomattic wrote:The second was better - Nice smooth balance. However in day three I got this yuck like potato taste that lingered in my mouth for ages.

Potato??? :shock:

..... He'll get his 'jacket' (coat) ;) :P :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Stuggi » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:04 pm

Let's hope the Mattari and Sharasi that I have coming in is half as good as this! ^^
Current Setup:
La Pavoni Europiccola | Ascaso i-Mini | Assorted Bodum FP's | Armin Trösser Hand Grinder

Next addition:
Elektra A3
Stuggi

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping