Heading to Frankfurt....

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Heading to Frankfurt....

Postby Craig » Fri May 18, 2007 2:20 pm

Heading to Frankfurt next month for a 4 days, any good coffee shops I should know about? I've been to frankfurt a fair bit but never really had the time to go looking.....

Cheers,

Craig.
Craig

RE: Heading to Frankfurt....

Postby bruceb » Fri May 18, 2007 3:21 pm

I live and work relatively close to Frankfurt, go there quite often, but have never found anything good to write to TMC about. One place came close, however: In the main train station across from track 26 (IIRC) there is a small Italian espresso shop and they have a beautiful La Marzocco machine. I had an espresso that was drinkable, made from beans sold by Tchibo (!). The beans were fresh and a single was about 30ml with crema, but the shot was too fast (15 sec) and when I suggested it might be possible to do better I received a look as if I probably had escaped from a padded cell. Still, the place had potential.

I've pretty much given up looking for good espresso in this part of Germany. There are a lot of shops opening up, but they either use big commerce coffee (Lavazza or New York or similar) or they don't train their bartistas or both. :(

Hmmmm, I think we have a member who lives in Frankfurt, but I don't remember who it is. :?

I would be delighted to hear if you find something good. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Craig » Fri May 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks for that Bruceb,

I'm going there on a stag weekend so don't think Ill have too much time to search for coffee shops, but If I do find anything of intrest Ill let you know.

Though I will have a full report on bars and strip clubs....Ill put that up in 'off topic' :wink:
Craig

Postby the_dude » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:15 pm

Bruce,

I lived in Frankfurt till December last year :) - If you seek good espresso in FFM check out scafi espresso company (SEC) near the Konstablerwache. He uses fresh Gorilla coffee (roasted in FFM) and always serves the cup with a glass of water.
[Andreja Premium, Mazzer Major, Behmor]
the_dude

Postby bruceb » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks Dude! I'll try that the next time I make my next "Weltreise" to Frankfurt.

I have yet to find a café that serves Joerges (the roaster of Gorilla) coffee. I am not a fan of their coffees because they have "Best Before" (MHD) dates of 18 or 24 months, but they are local and one can hope to get a fresh batch.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby the_dude » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Just talk to the sec owner (Mr. Scafi?) - he is in contact with Joerges and offered me (relatively) fresh roasted beans.
the_dude

Postby toast21 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:38 am

hey craig, good luck with the stag do :). Last time i was in frankfurt, I had dinner at a pub in Romer called Romer Bembel. I think its quite a touristy square but for around 12-13 euros I had a huge crispy pork knuckle... fantastic
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby the_dude » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:42 pm

If you want to eat really well try the tapas at Tabla Rasa (in Frankfurt Bockenheim, near Leipziger Straße).
Ok, it's not typical Krauts' food ;-)
the_dude

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:09 pm

I am heading to Frankfurt in February, does anyone know if things have improved in the last year since this thread started. I have all Sunday evening to find good espresso, any clues anyone.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby lukas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Julie, any chance you'll be at the 'Kaffeeolympiade'?
I don't know much about coffee in Frankfurt, but Wolfredo once promised me a nice cup and I'll hold him to it :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby JulieJayne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Sadly, the 'Kaffeeolympiade' ends on the Sunday, and I will not reach the fair until Sunday lunchtime. So I will miss most of it. Also my German is non existant, so it would be difficult to understand.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Return to Places to drink coffee