Malabar Gold

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Malabar Gold

Postby phil » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:07 pm

Before I forget, has anyone chased Danny for news on the MG? He's supposed to have had it in stock for a couple of weeks now.

Personally I'm interested but I have such a stock of greens anyway that if he doesn't want to sell any to me, that's his lookout. Neku (!!), you on the other hand were much more interested as I recall?
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:28 pm

phil (!) yes I was

I wrote to him to send me two kilo's, but haven't heard from him since. I think he's busy buying a new trailer to set up shop at some shopping mall in his home town, from what I gather on AC.
Raf
Founder Member

disgruntled

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:22 pm

i find it very sloppy and if feel annoyed about it. he made it a commercial operation, and i was in favour of that. but now i feel he failed, and do not feel obliged to stick to the order, although i will.

my little rant.

ES
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:17 pm

don't be too hard on the guy, I'm sure he means well (or at least, that's the impression I get from reading his stories). Setting up a business like this must be incredibly hard work.

(Of course, maybe we could convince steve to push MG on the European markets on a more stable basis? ;))
Raf
Founder Member

disagree

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:45 pm

How can it be difficult to import and distribute some beans? Yes, it is time intensive, but really... it takes an afternoon's work at best. Besides he makes money on it.

Oops... you hit a sensitive nerve... :)
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:55 pm

what sensitive nerve would that be?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

that would be...

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:02 pm

My frustration with horrible customer service in the Netherlands and in the UK. Many people don't seem to realise there is a relationship between having a job and being nice to customers...

Don't get me started!
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Now that's weird ....

Postby phil » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:12 pm

Just heard from Danny. I guess you guys did too? I've sent him a cheque for 2kg of MG greens plus postage.
phil
Founder Member

Danny's story .....

Postby phil » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:27 pm

I mailed him back saying we wondered why he wasn't talking to us as he still seemed to find time for a.c? Actually, no, not even I was that blunt, but that was my implied message.

Neku, like you said he gave some sort of sob story about being busy. I have to agree with Eward here. Selling MG is a business he's chosen to get into, not a favour he's doing for some guys. He's making a profit. Consequently I find his behaviour unacceptable. I promised to buy some greens so I will, but I'd rather buy more (if I want it) from other sources.

Steve, you may want to watch this space mate.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:36 pm

I think that malabar gold would go down really well in the UK but its not as easy as making a few phone calls. I've been trying to sourse some for a while just to try! Any going spare guys :lol:

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

As I understand it

Postby phil » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:33 pm

Danny just bought some from Dr John - well actually he bought a bag, or rather a large part of a bag - something to do with a large jump in shipping costs.

Steve, I can get some for you if you like, so Danny doesn't know it's for you? Or alternatively any of us can put you in touch. Your call.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:57 am

I'd like to try some , if you could get some from Danny I'd be greatful (a couple of kilo would be good). Also if you could put me in touch with the Dr (is he Dr who :D ), id be greatful.

Cheers Chaps

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Contacts

Postby phil » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:48 pm

Dr Joseph John, yer actual Malabar Gold Man :

Dr. Joseph John is president of Josuma Coffee Co. in Menlo Park, Calif., and designer of Malabar Gold, the company's Premium European Espresso. He can be reached at 650/366-5453 or by e-mail at josuma@aol.com.

(copied from "Fresh Cup", online at http://www.freshcup.com/index.asp?passedUrl=anatomy.htm - not it's not a medical text, it's an article about American espresso!).

I'll get a couple more kilos from Danny and pass them on if you like - no problem with that. Alternatively you could use your "toomuchcoffee" email and contact him at "danny@gaggia-espresso.com" - I don't think he'd rumble you if you didn't mention Hasbean. He might not even care anyway!

Let me know which way you want to go. I could drop the beans up to Stafford in exchange for a cup of coffee I'm sure! :wink:
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:17 am

I mailed Dr. John once, and he's a very friendly guy. He basically said that anyone who orders a full bag of MG can get it.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:49 am

I think I might give this chap an email see if he will give me a sample so I can order more, could be interesting!
Steve
Founder Member

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping