Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby toast21 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:26 pm

isn't gimp a unix/linux only tool? I believe it actually ships in the new redhat distro
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby bruceb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:32 pm

I suggested Irfan View instead of Photoshop because it is simple to use and free. The Gimp is wonderful, but unless you are relatively proficient with Photoshop the learning curve is rather steep.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby toast21 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Actually bruce, i agree.... i just love the name GIMP though :)
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby bruceb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:29 pm

toast21 wrote:isn't gimp a unix/linux only tool? I believe it actually ships in the new redhat distro

It was originally written for Linux, was ported to Windows and is very powerful. Like Photoshop, however, it is not something you can successfully dabble with when you want to reduce the size of a graphic file.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:26 pm

Jaanus wrote:aadje... ive got a lovely gif file that id like to use as an avatar (bit like yours actually, drawn dude throwing a ball).... the prob is that its 20 kb s instead of 6 that is max allowed... can you please help me reduce the size?

don't know much about moving gifs, but PM it to me and I'll see what I can do :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:43 pm

bruceb wrote:I suggested Irfan View instead of Photoshop because it is simple to use and free. The Gimp is wonderful, but unless you are relatively proficient with Photoshop the learning curve is rather steep.

Irfan is the one I use and I like it as it's simple and easy to use. A great little programme.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby HughF » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:43 pm

I am used to PhotoShop and found The GIMP very frustrating to use. IrfanView is OK I think or you could buy PhotoShop Elements for c. £80 if you can use it for a lot of other image work.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Jaanus » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:57 am

thanks to Aadje i have my new avatar up and running...cheers
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Aadje » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:33 am

it's kicking your @$$ pretty badly . . . ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Beanie » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:15 pm

Woohoooo WTG Aadje & Jaanus :D

BTW, I like PSD for the more creative stuff but IrfanView is great for quick little jobbies... but lately, I've been using the GraphicConverter on my mac :) And depending on what I want to do... sometimes CDR is better cause I don't have AI :(
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Ton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:19 pm

Hey, this thread inspired me to upload an avatar as well.
It's my parrot that reminds me every now and then to make coffee.
"Wil je een kopje koffie ?" or "Koppie koffie maken ?"
(Aadje will understand it; translation:"Would you like a cup of coffee ?" and "Make a cup of coffee ?")
Rancilio Miss Silvia (P.I.D.'ed), Mazzer Mini E, Solis Maestro Plus, Bodum Santos, Bodum Chambord FP, Krups Moka Brew, Aeropress, Gene Cafe.
Ton

Postby Aadje » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:07 pm

kopi krauw? ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Ton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Aadje wrote:kopi krauw? ;)

Good idea , maybe I should order some coffee berries and feed him (or her ?) with them.
Rancilio Miss Silvia (P.I.D.'ed), Mazzer Mini E, Solis Maestro Plus, Bodum Santos, Bodum Chambord FP, Krups Moka Brew, Aeropress, Gene Cafe.
Ton

Previous

Return to Forum Feedback