Aeropress two-stroke mod

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Aeropress two-stroke mod

Postby fiend » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:45 am

(Since the other Aeropress thread is 9 pages long, I thought this could probably go in a new one)

In the past month I have bought an Aeropress and a Vespa PX200 (still legal in NZ). This afternoon I was thinking about the Aeropress, and it occured to me that an interesting mod to it would be to put a hole in the side of it, similar to the cylinder in/out holes on a two stroke engine.

The hole would be around the size of the '1' circle in the main tube, and would be located around the bottom of the '2' oval. The process for extracting would be:

1. Measure the ground coffee into the Aeropress
2. Compact the grinds with the plunger (ie. tamp it)
3. Raise the plunger to just above the (new) inlet hole
4. Pour hot water gently into the hole
5. Push the plunger in slightly so that it goes past the hole. Air would escape through the grounds and/or out the hole.
6. Put the Aeropress onto a cup as per normal and press the plunger down to get the extraction.

The water would briefly make contact with the compressed grounds as a kind of pre-infusion, but otherwise would only pass through under pressure, so would be more of an espresso-style extraction.

Since I received the Aeropress as a Father's day present, and I can still hear my daughter singing 'happy birthday' with an adoring look on her face, I am a little reluctant to drill holes in the side of it just yet. Anyone else want to give it a try?

Rhys
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby Captain_Crema » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 pm

Not me. It's supposed to work so well because it combines the qualities of steeping and espressing (if you get my drift).
Captain_Crema

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:27 pm

Good train of thought Rhys but you can't do that to your little girl's love gift. The chaos can't be worth it mate :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby fiend » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:58 am

Yeah, that is the thing.

On a slightly different note, I am sure that the aeropress is making coffee with a much higher caffeine content to what I normally get in the Europiccola. Has anyone else noticed that? It may just be that I've been getting a v. low caffeine content in the espressos because I tend to grind/pack to the limit of almost choking the machine and give a little more than the recommended 8 bar pull.

Rhys
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:25 am

fiend wrote:On a slightly different note, I am sure that the aeropress is making coffee with a much higher caffeine content to what I normally get in the Europiccola. Has anyone else noticed that?

Completely unscientifically, I'd agree that the aeropress does have a much higher caffeine content. I used mine every day for about 2 1/2 weeks when I was hiking in the italian alps and I thought the same thing. Normally I only drink triple espresso, and don't notice the effects of caffeine at all. (though it is quite possible that there were other factors at play)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby scook94 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:39 pm

Are you using the scoop that came with the Aeropress? (2 full scoops worth with that is easily over 26g, I measure 18g of coffee for my espresso (technically for a double ristretto)) Also my overall "brew time" with the Aeropress is about double that for espresso.

I was taking these factors for the reason I detect a bigger caffeine buzz.
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby AlanP » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:57 pm

Go on Rhys you know you want to :twisted:

But why bother with drilling a hole?
Just cut the tube down to the size you want.
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Captain_Crema » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:46 pm

The scoop is to measure out beans for the grinder IIRC...
Captain_Crema

Postby scook94 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 pm

Captain_Crema wrote:The scoop is to measure out beans for the grinder IIRC...

Err, yes it is. :?:
scook94

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:27 am

The Aerobie does seem to end up with a 50% (or more :shock: ) higher dose than the L'Anna here. I wonder if the extra caffeine is solely related to the extra volume of grinds being used, the brew method or both? In Soapy's case the problem was more likely to be the local French grog :wink: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:44 am

CakeBoy wrote:T In Soapy's case the problem was more likely to be the local French grog :wink: :P

Other side of the mountains mate, so it was grappa :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby eivindt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:10 am

My instructions say "Put ground coffee into the chamber -- one scoop for each espresso[...]", with a picture of the scoop pouring grinds into the brewing chamber...

Eivind
La Scala Butterfly ~ Mazzer Mini E ~ Café Gene
eivindt

Postby Captain_Crema » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:26 pm

eivindt wrote:

My instructions say "Put ground coffee into the chamber -- one scoop for each espresso[...]", with a picture of the scoop pouring grinds into the brewing chamber...

Eivind

Ah well, maybe I misread it, but I'd really rather not put that much ground coffee in it - I'd be wired all day.

Skook, I made the point because I couldn't tell from your post whether you meant bean or ground.
Captain_Crema

Postby scook94 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:30 pm

My point was that using a couple of scoops, whether beans or gound, for a double "aeropress espresso" will give more coffee than for a conventional double espresso. i.e. approx 26g vs. approx 18g.

(BTW, I use it for measuring beans)
scook94

Return to Other Brewing Methods