spanish coffee

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:47 am

Try them sometime, you may just like them. Like I said, it is a local tradition and may only be available when asked for...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:46 am

I certainly will. My neighbour is Spanish and has a half decent (Superauto) machine at home. I will ask her if she knows of them/can get any. I would love to try them.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:03 am

I just roasted up a batch (minutes ago) in ToTo. Should be fun tasting them...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:05 am

Awaiting your conclusions with bated breath :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:54 am

Hi guys I am the original poster of this thread. I wonder if Zapty, or anyone else, could give me some more info on the actual technique to coat and roast the beans. I've got a Cafe Gene roaster and I don't mind a bit of mess!

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:02 am

Hi Guest, zapty is the man to answer your question but he's quite busy so it might be a while before he replies.

Why don't you become a member of TMC, you'd fit right in.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Slimboyfat » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:23 am

Just back from very sunny Spain - stayed just outside Gandia (home of Expobar - no it wasn't a pilgrimage, but I did request a tour of the factory, which was unfortunately closed for the Summer).

The cafe solo was universally dissapointing everywhere I tried and that 'mucky milk' as my friend calls it takes some getting used to.

Forgot to order an Aeropress before going and so I resorted to using a pot and strainer

Anyway - to get to the point - the most drinkable ground coffee that I came accross was a 50% Torrefacto blend. There was a definate sweetness to the taste and I'm now wondering about having a go

Did anyone post results on a sugar roast?

By the way, where did the sun go?

regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby bruceb » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:54 am

Slimboyfat wrote:By the way, where did the sun go?Slimboy...

To Spain. Image

Welcome back!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:41 am

Welcome home Slimboy ..... bet you are gagging for a decent coffee! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:56 am

Umm... I've been to Starbucks my entire life, looks like I'm missing out... :| I don't know if I like it or not, since I've never tried anything else... Any ideas or suggestions for first timers?

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:02 am

Anonymous wrote:Umm... I've been to Starbucks my entire life, looks like I'm missing out... :| I don't know if I like it or not, since I've never tried anything else... Any ideas or suggestions for first timers?

You really need to taste the real thing. Perhaps you live near one of our members who could invite you round for a espresso. It's difficult to point you in the direction of a good coffee place as these are like hen's teeth.
Where do you live?
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Anonymous wrote:Umm... I've been to Starbucks my entire life

Gosh, are you in much pain? :wink: You should join us, I am sure a properly made espresso would be very eye opening. As George said, someone will probably make you one if you live near a TMC'er :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

spanish coffee

Postby misalda » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:50 am

Hi guys,

After a 12 year quest, and having got so close, I could stand the suspense no more!

I PM’ed Zapty who graciously took time out to reply with instructions.

You mist the greens with a sugar/water solution and allow them to dry overnight. My 1st attempt was poor with too weak a solution, my 2nd attempt with a richer solution much better.
Although I’ve got a gene I used my old popcorn machine to roast them. Definitely an outdoor job as there is copious amounts of smoke.
It then becomes difficult to gauge the roast as the sugar caramelises quickly, meaning by 1c the beans are dark. Although Spanish roasts are almost burned I stopped them just into 2c, the beans now almost black (I would host a pic if I knew how!)

I made a brew with a filter cone as that’s how I used to drink it…quite authentic, although as Zapty pointed out, its origin was to make cheap beans drinkable. In my next order I may get some robusta to blend in.

Then ‘man with too much time on his hands’ syndrome kicked in (I’m divorced). I added a shot of Amoretto into the sugar solution and sprayed a third batch, It’s roasted but not degassed so I’ll let you know, if anyone else but me is interested!
misalda

Postby GeorgeW » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 pm

Well I'm interested for one.....but then again that doesn't really mean much.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 pm

I'm also interested. I've heard about it for a long time, but never was driven to try it. I would very much like to see pictures. Do you have a digital camera? If I can help you host a picture or pictures let me know. Good show, really. Glad to hear someone has tried it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

PreviousNext

Return to Open House