Important health warning

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Important health warning

Postby fiend » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:54 pm

I read an article today referring to a study published in the journal Epidemiology. Apparently if you only drink one cup of coffee per day, then your risk of a heart attack is greatest in the hour just after that cup. If you have more than 4 per day there is no correlation.

So if you are in an at risk group (ie. sitting around talking instead of manically exercising) and care about your health, then make sure you keep drinking heavily throughout the day.

This may be the justification I need for replicating my coffee equipment at work...

Rhys
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:00 am

Thanks Rhys. I will "chain drink" from now on ..... purely for medicinal purposes you understand :wink:

How are things going down under by the way? All well I hope :D

Edit: Corrected typo.
Last edited by CakeBoy on Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby BazBean » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:18 am

flawless logic as usual. :)
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby siliconslave » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 am

new zealand herald wrote:This was particularly the case when a coffee drinker got little regular exercise or had three or more risk factors for heart disease - such as diabetes, high blood pressure and smoking.

On the other hand, there was no risk of heart attack among heavy coffee drinkers, downing four or more cups a day. The difference, say the researchers, may be that these coffee devotees build up a tolerance to the cardiovascular effects of caffeine.

there are two things that strike me about this article - firstly it doesn't apply to us, "heavy coffee drinkers" due to our tolerance levels

and secondly if you don't excersise and have diabetes, high blood pressure and smoke then coffee is the least of your worrys!
siliconslave

Postby fiend » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:41 am

Life in NZ is going pretty well thanks. I've just had a weekend away with the wife and kids, which was nice and relaxing.

I've found a stall in a gourmet market around the corner that sells freshly roasted beans, and even has the odd single origin. There are also some good blends available in the supermarket (hard to believe I know, but you should come here and see for yourself), so I'm fairly well looked after as I wait for it to get warm enough to roast for myself.

It's an odd 'blend' of coffee appreciation here in NZ. There's a real understanding of freshness, and the place is just full of boutique roasters who will peddle around 1-5 blends. But there seems to be very little understanding of origins, and virtually no home roasting. I enquired with some of the wholesale bean importers and it seems as though there just isn't anyone bringing the real specialty coffees into the country. So it's an oppourtunity going begging - a country full of coffee lovers who have yet to hear about home-roasting and single origins...
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:15 pm

That is great news that NZ is going well for you Rhys :D . It does seem rather an anomaly that coffee lovers have little exposure to green beans or estate specific roasted beans. There does seem to be an opportunity for an "NZ Steve" to come along and educate the market. I wonder if there are many/any geeks looking at Coffee Snob over in Oz or similar? You would think they might drive a market for home roasters. It is great that you have found some decent coffee. If it all gets too difficult, we will have to send you a TMC "care package" of greens :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Open House