Where to try out coffee makers

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Where to try out coffee makers

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:05 pm

Does anyone know where you can try out coffee makers (up to £100) to see if you like the taste of the coffee they make?
Preferably in Northeast England or Reading or Somerset/Wiltshire?

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:33 am

Maybe a department store but £100 will not give you much choice or frankly quality if you are looking for espresso. If so, you may be better trying to find someone with something like a Gaggia Classic and if you like it looking on ebay where quite a few come up reasonably cheaply.

If it is a filter or other type of coffee machine that you are looking for, it might not be as easy to get a demo.

What sort of coffee do you have in mind? I am sure plenty of people will at least be able to recommend some options for you to consider :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:12 am

I am thinking primarily of filter coffee but would also consider espresso to dilute

Postby akallio » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:09 pm

For filter coffee, finding machines that produce good coffee is quite easy. All coffee makers that have a Moccamaster logo on them are good and all the others are not. Well, I've seen a couple of non-Moccamasters that might be good also, but they were quite expensive. Generally, filter machine manufacturers don't give a damn about the coffee in itself and eventhough making good drip coffee is very easy (compared to espresso), all the common brands fail in it. Delivering 96C water in a steady fashion should not be beyond modern technology...

Of course there are also other issues such as usability and looks. Moccamasters are maybe not strong in those.
akallio

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:18 pm

Have you considered a vacum pot or even a bog standard French Press???

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:18 pm

Above was me ...Doh!
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:28 pm

Maybe you might consider the Aerobie Aeropress for hybrid espresso with a nice clean flavour. Under £30 delivered.

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/product_info.p ... cts_id=631
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

brew pot???

Postby mo go gear » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:08 am

In additions to the 'bog" French press- I would have to say I can vouch for the simplicity of the much copied MOKA Pot- Bialetti or not, they make a nice cup. I would opt in the long run for a stainless steel version, but the aluminum ones do great. You could spend much more and make much worse coffee. No electricity needed, just fire- Your choice of the source. Comes in many sizes- 1 cup to 9. Here in the states they lay about in Thrift stores for $5 USD used / new about $19 USD - I can't speak for Europe

Just to toss a lud-ite style option to you.

mo

mo go gear
mo go gear

Return to Open House