I NEED a new toy!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I NEED a new toy!

Postby Lambo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:57 am

I've decided to upgrade my non-espresso drinking and I've been looking at the Cona Bijou kitchen vacuum brewer and the Bodum electric mini Santos. They're both pretty much the same price - has anybody got any thoughts/experiences of these?

Steve[/i]
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Cona is a better brewer, but the electric Santos is easier to use and more convenient. Others have said they dont like the electric in the past as you cant control the step time.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Lambo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:03 am

Thanks Steve!
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby zix » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:35 am

The ones in-the-know seem to agree that regarding cup quality Cona is better than Bodum, the ones without the e prefix included. How about Hario?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Lambo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:30 pm

I've seen a couple of Hario's on the web, but thought the Cona might be "simpler", being a kitchen model - no messing about with flammable liquids!.
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby zix » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:49 pm

yeah, type of heating is a non-issue for me, since I would use it only once a week max. But... does the Harios really use paper filters? I Read that somewhere when googling for Hario.
In that case it is a no thanks for me anyway.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:21 am

Hario doesnt use filters at all, and can be used on a stove top.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby blackice » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:03 pm

I talked to a Bodum representative last month and she confidentially told me that the electric Santos has a lot of reliability problems...
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby Lambo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Hmm, looks more and more like the Bodum could be out of the running here!
Steve, looking at the Hario on your site, it looks to me like there's a burner underneath it - how can you use it on a stove top?
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby zix » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:17 pm

Yes, how, Steve? On a stove top with gas burners perhaps?

/zix
parrot
zix

Postby Steve » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:24 pm

No with a heat diffuser, the burner is attached to it its just the heat source. The pot can be used without the burner.

The E Santos did have a problem with the electrics a couple of years ago but I've sold a buckey load with few returns.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Captain_Crema » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:07 pm

What about an Aerobie Aeropress?

Relatively cheap (around £30 - Has Bean sell them), makes superb coffee (as described in great detail on this site and others), and is easy to use. It's definitely not going to have reliability problems, either.

Only downside is it looks like a medical appliance, but who cares? One taste and you'll be hooked.
Captain_Crema

Postby Lambo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:02 pm

Hadn't thought of that - the only downside appears to be that it only makes enough for one cup, whereas the Cona can do more. If I only make coffee for me, there's a distinct chill in the air - you can see the icebergs forming in the sink!
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Paul L » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:10 pm

Perhaps make hers first... :)

Sorry, bit of an obvious answer but not facetious if there's only two of you and you don't need a pot to keep refilling from. The whole pot thing always went cold no matter what type and office ones get worse sitting on the heat. Any type should be GIGO I would have thought so what you feed in arguably remains the most important.
Paul L

Postby Lambo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:40 pm

I grind (except when I'm at work) and make fresh coffee each time I want it, whichever method - I don't leave it sitting in a pot. The idea of having enough ready for both of us (plus anybody else) at the same time appeals a bit more I think.
Might be able to justify one for work though!
Citroën DS
Lambo

Return to Other Brewing Methods