isomac electric failure

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

isomac electric failure

Postby rule » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Hi,

does anyone know how to trouble-shoot an Isomca Tea that causes the electric system to shut down after I put it on?

This problem turned up after I had backflushed the machine yesterday. Could it be a water leak, any broken valves, burned electrical wiring? By the way, some sticky stuff comes out of the operational core of the machine,

any tips are welcome, thanks!

roelvandenbrand@wanadoo.nl
rule

Postby HughF » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm not an espresso engineer but... all I can think is that you are bridging live to neutral (or to ground if you have an earth leakage circuit breaker or residual current circuit breaker not just an over-current circuit breaker). That to me means water leak or fused wiring. I would be very surprised if you can get away without at least removing it from power, taking the case off, cleaning out the sticky stuff and looking for the source of the damage. "Sticky stuff" doesn't sound good, **just** a water leak wouldn't be sticky itself, it sounds like some damage has occurred.

To assist the more knowledgeable ones who will reply later :
(possibly ater the England game finishes!)

1. Which machine is it? (OOPS, you said it's an Isomac Tea - I'm now able to edit my mistakes thanks to Phil!)

2. How long did you backflush it for (each time) ?
Was it just a single water backflush or repeated backflushes (how many) to flush out espresso cleaner after a more intensive clean?
(I've sometimes seen a little water on the base of the machine when removing the drip tray after multiple backflushes.)

3. Were there any noises or smells at the time? Flashes of light?

Best of luck,

Hugh
Last edited by HughF on Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby HughF » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Used to be mutterings here about not being able to edit out my mistake in the previous post, now fixed, thanks.

Cheers,

Hugh
Last edited by HughF on Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby zapty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:36 pm

As far as I know you can't edit in the open house section of the forum...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby testuser1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:50 pm

posting an editing test ....

(Phil)
testuser1

Postby testuser1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:51 pm

Hokay .....
testuser1

Postby testuser1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:54 pm

Forum permissions issue (specific to Open House). Now resolved.

Phil
testuser1

Postby HughF » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:39 pm

testuser1 wrote:Forum permissions issue (specific to Open House). Now resolved.

Phil

Thanks very much Phil,

Hugh
HughF

Postby phil2spill » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi Guest,

I have heard of the seal where the heater element is sealed into the boiler going soft and allowing a water leak on a Tea. This would be consistent with the fact that it occurred after a back-flush too. Assuming you know where to look, that might be a good starting point (with electric disconnected at the wall, natch)
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby AlanP » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:59 pm

For a while my Zaffiro kept causing the household fuse/consumer unit to trip.
I don't know whether the Tea is built the same way but the large nut which secured the heating element into the bottom of the boiler had worked loose.
When the water heated up it would seep onto the electrical connectors causing a short,potentially quite dangerous.
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:08 pm

get it to an engineer who is well known and trustworthy, as asid above sounds like it could be dangerous if you start playing with it yourself.

(scottwhite here not logged on)

Postby Jo2 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:35 am

Hi Roel,
I agree with Scott... If you can get it to one of our shops, i'm sure our engineers can help...
Wanna know where we're at... PM me
Best, Jo
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Return to Open House