Two Loons Coffee

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Two Loons Coffee

Postby phil » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:16 pm

Hugh

You've mentioned Two Loons Coffee (as a source of greens) once or twice, and you've agreed to write up the Timor you've sourced from them.

What do you think of them on the whole, and how do you think that they compare to (say for example) Sweet Marias? How do the coffees compare? How are they to deal with?

Cheers
phil
Founder Member

Two Loons Coffee

Postby HughF » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

I have only dealt with Two Loons once but Steve Ackman was definitely helpful and on the ball. Prompt and informative as to when stuff was shipped.

I would be entirely happy to buy from them again, no problem. The main thing nudging me towards Sweet Marias instead is the much better coffee descriptions there - Two Loons' are much shorter and often there is no roasting suggestion - plus SM seem to be regarded as the best of the green suppliers on alt.coffee etc.

I bought the Two Loons "Mega Sampler" - 17 coffees, one pound of each, which I'm still working my way through and I've liked all the coffees.

The Timor Aifu Organic you asked me about has ironically made least of a hit with me so far; the last roast was better - I hit the Cool button on the HWP for 30 seconds a couple of times just after first crack subsided (David Lewis on the SM list suggested hitting Cool for 5 seconds at 20 and 90 seconds after first crack which didn't seem to make that much difference). It is pretty dark but with no oil, roasted for cafetiere. (I prefer the Monmouth Coffee East Timor, it's more to my preference. The Two Loons isn't as smooth or fruity but others might well really like it, see next paragraph.)

However, you have to allow for the fact that I like fruity coffees for cafetiere (e.g. Kenya Peaberry) and roast only to City. Even for espresso, I rarely go beyond first oil. I liked Uganda (Bugisu?) a lot from Two Loons as a rich smooth single bean espresso but I'm using Jim Schulmans 1234 blend right now which is, as you'd expect, more complex. It also cuts through milk a lot better than straight Ugandan (about 6 oz. Gold Top to a double shot - I can't froth any less milk with the Gaggia).

I liked my results with 1234 more at first than I do now but I think that I'm messing it up somehow - I seem to keep needing to grind coarser, from 5.5 to 7.5 on Rocky. Light tamp and 19 grams still.
I've cleaned the showerhead on the little Gaggia (no change), I'll clean Rocky next. I find it very difficult to be consistent with the Carezza but that may just be me expecting too short a learning curve since I only bought it in February. I may try Uganda Bugisu from Monmouth in a while just to see if it's the blend/roast or my technique that's the trouble.

The 1234 blend is (if I can quote Jim Schulman) :

1234:
10% Kenya, 20% Harar, 30% Aged Sulawesi, 40% Brazil

Suggested roast was to first oil but optionally into rolling second until all beans are oily.

I was using Monsooned Malabar for the 30% which was an option in his original wider spec. for this blend, I'll be using SM Aged Sulawesi this weekend now the MM has run out. I'll see if it makes any difference - he has recently stressed the importance of the "chocolatey" AS in the blend.
I was running out of Harrar so asked Monmouth if they had anything similar and they offered previous years Ethiopian Djimmah and threw in an extra kilo free as it was the last and too little to go in their roaster - always nice people there.

I want to roast some beans I don't care about well beyond second crack to see if I can get used to hearing second crack and roast darker more reliably as everyone else seems to prefer dancing on the leading edge of second crack.

Having given Hill and Valley the "I will never deal with you again" speech via email, I am sticking to Monmouth for urgent green beans (and ready-roasted for my parents who have a Dualit burr grinder I gave them and a cafetiere) and surface mail greens from the USA (SM or Two Loons, more likely SM) otherwise. HasBean sounds good from your posts also.

Very long-winded, sorry, but I hope a quick scan of this post answers your posted/emailed questions about Two Loons, the JS 1234 blend and Timor!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Thanks Hugh

Postby phil » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:44 pm

I don't mind the long-winded bit at all, that was very interesting.

(Thinks - hmmm, I bang on a bit too - the younger guys will think it's because we're older - hah! to them)

Yes I like Sweet Maria's a lot. I like Monmouth too. Now we have three sources in the UK for Brazil Bourbon Fazenda Cachoeira since Hasbean are stocking it. BTW, I can thoroughly recommend the Monmouth Bugisu. Lovely, sweet, slightly spicy. Have only tried it in espresso - must roast some for french press - tonight maybe?

I also love Smithfarms Kona (Eeffoc got me hooked), and Cea is a delight to deal with. 3 pounds of coffee (or any multiple), shipped USPS Global Priority from Hawaii on Tuesday was with me on Saturday morning with the normal letter post. USD 33 plus USD 9 for shipping. I got 6 pounds. Apparently it's actually cheaper than surface rate, and far faster, for larger quantities. Cea's quite happy to split any size order into the appropriate number of GP envelopes, 3 pounds at a time (it helps if the order is a multiple of 3 pounds of course!)
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:29 pm

Good to know about the Monmouth Bugisu, thanks. I bought some Cachoeira from them also for the 40% of the JS 1234 blend as well as the old (not aged) Djimmah for the 20%. I hadn't realised that the Smith Farms Kona was such a reasonable cost to ship, interesting. I liked the SM Kona quite a bit but not more than Two Loons' Yirgacheffe which is cheaper; I'll try the Smith Farms in a month or two though.

Glad someone made it through my post without losing the will to live!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

more, more, more!

Postby Sunnyfield » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:20 pm

Age? Bollocks!

I love those long postings. It was very informative. I should take more time to sit down and write my tasting notes. And post them here of course.

We all should really.

Thanks!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Hey Eward

Postby phil » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:59 pm

What has the age of our bollocks got to do with it? :lol:

Eward wrote:I should take more time to sit down and write my tasting notes. And post them here of course

Yes you should.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:04 am

Well, I do need a new roaster first! :wink:
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:40 pm

So mail me about the implied suggestion in the other posting
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:58 pm

Tsk... I give you one finger, and you take the whole hand! :D

I have to start with making better tasting notes.
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:21 pm

You give me the finger Eward and I'll be deeply offended

:lol:
phil
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping