Turkish coffee... lots of fun!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Turkish coffee... lots of fun!

Postby Terje » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:49 am

Got myself a small ibrik the other day. It makes about 4 to 5 cups of turkish coffee. Depending on what beans and what roast you use it can taste really great. Again, Yirgacheffe works fine while the more bitter brazilian beans I have aren't such a great choice.

Wonder how it will taste with Kona... should try it this afternoon...
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:09 pm

I read that there is quite a ritual to the brewing, almost to the boil 3 times ?
while the more bitter brazilian beans

Traditionally bitter - hence the custom of cardomom, cinnamon and lots of sugar.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Terje » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:02 pm

This was great with Kona beans too. Possibly the best way to use those beans, which I have started to find a bit boring myself.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:46 pm

Kona has a very destinctive taste, I don't know how you would describe it - but I know I don't like it. A few years ago I got some from a franchise roaster and they roasted it too light. Now that I'm roasting, I may try it again one day.
I also have a brass Turkish hand mill http://www.turkishgiftbazaar.com/grinde ... coffee.htm it looks rather ornate, but it used to choke my old Krups Novo. I may have damaged it, trying to adjust courser. It's about 10 times slower than the Zass. I won't part with it, as it looks quite nice on the shelf.
Q.C.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Terje » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 am

cumberpach wrote:It's about 10 times slower than the Zass.

Then what's the point? That's my only problem with turksih coffee at home, the grinding. It takes forever!
Terje

Postby espressomattic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:54 pm

My salter handles a turkish grind just fine (excuse the pun), am currently drinking a 4 continent blend with monsooned malabar robusta as turkish....very smooth and no sugar needed. I boil it twice and pour...lovely!
espressomattic

Postby blackice » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:13 pm

We Greeks dring a lot of Greek coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aka turkish LOL (it was the first method of brewing coffee)

So one blend would be good quality Brazil, a little Harrar (or sth similar), and very little Robusta as espressomatic said. If you can find premium quality Robusta from Uganda or India use it. Roast this blend as dark as you like.

Measure water and heat a little. Then add coffee grind for turkish(/greek/whatever) and sugar and stir for a while. You can boil it as many times as you like but twice as espressomatic said is a good time.

You'll find very good greek coffee blends in Greece!!! LOL!!! :-D

PS
Is there anybody in this forum from Greece?
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby Joris » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:16 pm

blackice wrote:Is there anybody in this forum from Greece?

obviously you are ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby blackice » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Wow! You are so observant! :-D
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby Aadje » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:59 pm

We dutch are allways sharp :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby ivdp » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:03 pm

cumberpach wrote:I read that there is quite a ritual to the brewing, almost to the boil 3 times ?
while the more bitter brazilian beans

Traditionally bitter - hence the custom of cardomom, cinnamon and lots of sugar.
Quentin

The ritual is not very complicated, have a look here: http://www.gebrand.nl/Turksekoffie_eng.htm

Bitterness is fully dependend on beans and roast colour.

Ivo
ivdp

Postby espressomattic » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:07 am

Will try that tomorrow, I have a Brazillian/Gautamalan/Yirg/Moon Robusta to go in.

Whilst the taste is stronger, with fresh coffe it can hardly be called bitter in the true sense of the word.
espressomattic

Postby akallio » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:42 am

espressomattic wrote:My salter handles a turkish grind just fine (excuse the pun), am currently drinking a 4 continent blend with monsooned malabar robusta as turkish....very smooth and no sugar needed. I boil it twice and pour...lovely!

Do you people manage to get proper crema/froth/whatever in your turkish? My experience is that when crema starts to build up, it begins to boil and disappears...
akallio

Postby espressomattic » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:25 am

Nothing like Espresso, you occassionally get a 'scum', but most times nothing. Iused to, but these days I don't.
espressomattic

Postby ivdp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:15 am

akallio wrote:
espressomattic wrote:My salter handles a turkish grind just fine (excuse the pun), am currently drinking a 4 continent blend with monsooned malabar robusta as turkish....very smooth and no sugar needed. I boil it twice and pour...lovely!

Do you people manage to get proper crema/froth/whatever in your turkish? My experience is that when crema starts to build up, it begins to boil and disappears...

Maybe not like espresso but stil . . .
Attachments
koffie.jpg
koffie.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 12209 times
ivdp

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods