Call for content

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Call for content

Postby Raf » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:18 pm

Dear guys & gals, we desperately need more content on the site if we're ever going to be a real coffee resource. It doesn't need to be overly long or hard to write something worth reading for the site, so please consider following topics:

- we plan a series of FAQ's on everything from choosing grinders to pulling a shot to replacing a scaled boiler in your machine. Also "what's the difference between a HX and a single boiler / burr grinder, whirly blade etc. etc." The purpose of the site is - among others - to educate the European public on quality espresso and coffee. Any and every aspect of making coffee, however small, is worthwile to write a short FAQ about. If you have an idea for a FAQ, we could make it a collective effort on the forum, taking even less time to assemble.

- comparative articles on sources of green, equipment etc. in Europe. We have our friends in the UK, but where else in Europe can you order your machinery and beans? Compare prices, quality, etc.

- reviews of all the machines you have or ever had, with a focus on European machines. I'll do one on my Rocky and VIbiemme soon. And my Imex.

- personal stories are always interesting: how did you discover espresso/coffee, what are your favourite coffees, how (bad or good) is coffee where you live? We talk about this in the forums, but it won't hurt to have some testimonies on the site to show that we're alive.

- interview your local roaster about coffee and post the result online! Or, if you are a roaster: why did you start roasting in the first place? Is being a roaster all you dreamed it would be? How hard is it to convince your customers of good coffee?

In an ideal world, all members would have at least one contribution proudly displayed in some section of the site. If you're stuck without ideas, you can always send me an e-mail: I'll be glad to help out.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:31 pm

Forgot to say: any pictures of espresso, machines, green coffee, shots, cups, spoons, sugar pots, anything is welcome to liven up the site. Just mail them to Phil.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:32 am

Hi!
What can I do?
I can explain (with pictures) the difference between HX and Dualboiler, Singleboiler...
I can explain the special techniques about the La Spaziale, with the pro's and con's...
I can explain how I started with what kind of machines and why I upgraded to an HX as soon as I could...
I can write down some espressomachine parts supplier in Italy.....
I can give you adresses for homeuse machines in Vienna, Austria...inclusive Mechanics....
I can tell you the best roaster in Vienna who also sells green beans (Lots of speciality coffee)...
Tell me what you like - I don't know what's interesting for you.
Maybe I know more and don't know who's interested in it ;-)
Hmmmmm - let me know - but I'm sorry in advance if I can't reply on a daily basis right now.
Greetings
Joey :roll:
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Raf » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:24 am

I can explain (with pictures) the difference between HX and Dualboiler, Singleboiler...
I can explain the special techniques about the La Spaziale, with the pro's and con's...
I can explain how I started with what kind of machines and why I upgraded to an HX as soon as I could...
I can write down some espressomachine parts supplier in Italy.....
I can give you adresses for homeuse machines in Vienna, Austria...inclusive Mechanics....
I can tell you the best roaster in Vienna who also sells green beans (Lots of speciality coffee)...
Tell me what you like - I don't know what's interesting for you.

It's all interestin, Joey!

Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:09 am

The family will taking a trip up north (to the Douro region of Portugal) while the little one is out of school for the holidays. We plan on visiting at least one coffee roaster while we're there, and perhaps a few of the coffeeshops that come recommended (apparently, the coffee culture in the North is vastly different from that of Lisbon and the Algarve). I might be able to get some pictures (got a digital camera). I'm not much of a writer, so an article might be out of the question.
DrZeus

Postby Raf » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:42 am

I'm not much of a writer, so an article might be out of the question.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Some pictures, some impressions and thoughts and a few quotes from the roasters you meet will go a long way. Everybody is a writer! By the way, if you're in the Douro region and you come across a wine domain called "Quinta de Fafide": don't hesitate to try their red wine. Excellent stuff.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:48 pm

I'll do what I can, but it won't be before the weekend...
joey
Joey

Postby phil » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:06 am

OK folks, the content fountain has dried up somewhat. I admit I have two things stalled in preparation:
  • An article based on Joey's "grinder refurbishment" post of just before Christmas (I'm stalled on interpreting some of the things Joey said and she's really busy with her business at the moment and so hasn't got time to come back to me on the questions I asked her)
  • An article "The Hottop Experience" about long term experiences with the Hottop roaster (from someone - guess who! - who's been using a Hottop for over a year now)

To keep the site alive and not just another forum we need some interesting articles. I put in the work to polish them and do the html presentation thing so no-one need worry about "not being a good writer".

Moccafaux's recent article was a bolt from the blue - I hadn't solicited it as such, and I have to say that it was just the sort of thing we want - interesting to everyone, not too long, and the sort of thing that should make yet more people think "Hey, I could try that!". Top man, Moccafaux! BTW - I'm still waiting for some cupping reviews! :lol:

We need more stuff like that.

C'mon people, it's all grist to the mill. Kingseven - I reckon we'd all like to hear about some of the stuff you get up to in your life with Gaggia. DrZeus - if coffee in Portugal is so bad, tell us about it. Have you tried sharing your homeroast with anyone other than MrsZeus? Any of the locals? What did they think?

Sorry there isn't an "emoticon" for the site admin standing on a street corner with his hat held out, begging for articles! :?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:34 pm

Once more I think I would like to remind people, especially all of the welcome new members, just how dependant TMC is on its membership for content. Articles are what makes TMC an information resource rather than just another forum.

I have been promised a number of things recently, but so far nothing has come up since Joey's review and Neku's interview of Joe Behm.

Please - if anyone has anything they feel they could write about then just put some words in a text file, Word document or whatever you want and send it to me or Neku - preferably with some pictures if you have access to a digital camera. We'll do the rest to turn it into a TMC article.

So - what am I offered? Wolfgang - how about something about the coffee farmers you're meeting in Brazil, or something similar? Gauperaa - if you can't write an article or "How To" on some aspect of espresso, I don't know who can! :D And so on. You guys get the idea.

Oh and while I think of it - how about some web links and short write-ups for some of the countries not in our list at the moment - like Sweden and Norway for example?

Thanks people.

Phil

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:41 pm

Guilty again! I have done half of the dimmer write up, but have been lazy (and distracted recently). My main problem is no digital camera, I have to borrow the work one.

The PID article I left till I had been using it a while to allow my thoughts to be accurate.

I promise to let you have the article this month, with the PID one to follow soon after.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

SimonP
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks Simon, you're a star. I don't mean to nag - but it's always great when someone can put something into TMC for the rest of us.

Cheers

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby mattmills » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:54 pm

Guilty.... my apologises.... i will get something done asap.

Also if anyone is interested i will add something with regards to the rest of my time in Italy....re:espresso tasting, decaffeintaing, and a roaster that has a geater market share in the city that is the home of Illy
mattmills

Postby simonp » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:02 pm

In defence of my laxity, work has been busy, and I am also the station engineer of the local hospital radio (voluntary), and I've been fitting a new kitchen! But then I've had time for roasting experiments, so no excuse really

End of excuses :)

SimonP
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:11 pm

I have so much in my head but no time to write it down :? - if I'm lucky I'll get the contract for my location next week - then I'll have to get my shop ready in 2 MONTHS :shock: . I hope I can do something before that - at least I will have to put my 3 group machine together and I will deffinitely make photos of every step, I promise! :oops:

Joey
Joey

Postby pault » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:02 pm

I don't want to make any promises I can't keep cos of work commitments etc. but if I get the time I would love to do 2/3 articles (or maybe combine them somehow)

one would be a review of a few coffee books I've got including one of "The Devils Cup" which would disagree somewhat with the existing one on the site.

another would be based on my experiences using all the various aspects of my different kit-bits from machines to tampers ... it might be best leaving this till last cos I'm still buying kit and hoping the purchases will come to an end soon :-)

finally, the Starbucks thread convinced me there's a "Politics of Coffee" article to be written but maybe that could turn out to be too provocative???
I'm a bit sensitive to the nice tone on the site and didn't want to upset anyone because my views on SBs and franchises in general, their links with US culture, the cultural damage they do etc. might wind a few people up ...??

let me know what you think ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Next

Return to Site Announcements