Considering Roasting - few questions

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Considering Roasting - few questions

Postby wallisj » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:57 pm

Hi all you roasters

I am thinking of starting to roast as i find it a pain having to order fresh beans all the time and then being forced to either use or through away if they get too old.

So i have a few questions for you all if i may...

Roaster....seems like the HotTop is the home-roaster of choice...everyone agree on that one?

Green storage... since there are so many different blends i would be able to try from around the world (like inteligentsia, sweet marias, vivace etc) as well as from our very own steve....i would assume that Green can be stored for a while...

So how long can green be kept....does it lose anything over time....what are good storage conditions to keep things optimum.

Any other things i should be considering?

Thanks
Jamie
wallisj

Postby simonp » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:18 pm

Roaster....seems like the HotTop is the home-roaster of choice...everyone agree on that one?

Not everyone I suspect, but it is probably the best roaster for MOST people's taste. Certainly the easiest to use and the best engineered.

So how long can green be kept....does it lose anything over time....what are good storage conditions to keep things optimum.

1-2 years under the correct conditions. 1 year is no problem stored in the house. I believe a constant temperature and humidity are the best conditions, but a constantish humidity is the most important I am told. Short term they will keep in plastic, but for long term cloth bags help stop moisture getting trapped in the bags.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby wallisj » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:11 pm

cool....sounds good to me .... as long as they last more than 6 months i am happy....
wallisj

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping