check this thing out!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

check this thing out!

Postby DrZeus » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:59 pm

Have you ever seen such a thing? Is this a stove-top coffee maker?

DrZeus

Postby alans » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:45 pm

Not like any I've seen before... Where'd you get the pic? Are they handles folded down on the side?

Alan
alans

Postby phil » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:21 pm

Looks like something you might get mating a fancy nutcracker with a portafilter
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:37 pm

Yeah, and a potato masher. Intriguing little beast, but it looks a bit like a hoax.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:57 pm

Looks real to me! If you lift the handles down the side, the water is pressed through the PF... hmmm... how do they make sure the water doesn't squirt out on the top? Perhaps it is a spoof, but a very good one!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:11 am

new one on me too :roll:
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:33 pm

Looks a bit like this one:
Attachments
this-looks-like-it.jpg
this-looks-like-it.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
michel

Postby alans » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:08 pm

What a great pic! Wonder how they worked, is that a power socket on the right hand side in the middle?
alans

Postby alans » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:05 pm

So I was over in London attending a certain cupping event you may have heard about, when I took a wander through John Lewis and what did I find but the very thing we've been discussing for over a month! It's new and called a "Presso". Check out their homepage:
http://www.presso.co.uk/
The diagram on the details section gives a better idea.

Here's what I remember from the instructions:
Heat the water seperatly
Fill the porta filter as normal
Pour the hot water in to the "filling area" up to the mark for one shot or two
Raise the handles and hold for ten seconds as a pre infusion
Then lower the handles trying for a 22 second pull

There's only a two shot filter, so for one shot you'd have to half fill it so I wouldn't expect great singles and the filter itself looks about the same as my Pavoni, 49mm 10-12g. Like all lever machines I'd expect it to be very fussy about grind and tamp.

Check out the Amazon reviews, real pity there's no review from someone who knows what they're talking about, I doubt Presso "... admitted it could only produce pressure in the 7-8 bar range ..."

I think this could be a great machine for those that want a real espresso but can't afford a real machine, or for camping / travelling. As a lever lover, I'm interested and would love to play with one for a while and see if it really can make great espresso (I can't see why it couldn't), but I'm not going to buy one just to find out if it's worth buying!
alans

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:27 pm

I'm really interested in this. I have sent a mail to the company asking for more info. In for a penny in for a pound
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:01 am

Would indeed be great for camping. Yay! Combined with a hand mill and a Caffe Rosto!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby HV » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:36 pm

It's certainly a slick looking contraption &, if properly build, could probably make quite a decent cup of coffee. (With freshly ground coffee - not with the canned Illy shown in the movie!!!)

However, I fail to see what part of it would be 'revolutionary'. In any case, the 'Worldwide patents pending' can't cover the brewing method because of prior art.
Apart from Gaggia (Michels pic shows the Gaggia Gilda), Faema & a dozen other Italian companies were making similar devices 50 years ago. Not sure if these were any bit popular in Italy at the time - with its economy still in shambles, moka pots were probably the choice.
Of course, machines such as the 'revolutionary' Presso eventually evolved to the various lever operated home machines & became obsolete altogether when the first pump machines propped up.

The Presso is a nice gadget. It could be an option for a travel coffee maker, though I'm not sure if I'd prefer it over a normal moka brewer, or a Bialetti Brikka. It'd be pretty heavy for backpacking...

Cheers,

H "wishing he'd not unlurked posting about machines" V :oops:
HV

Postby phil » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Hey HV, good to "see" you! I was wondering where you were.:D How was Paris (IIRC)?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby HV » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:37 pm

Hello Phil,

Paris was great - even the espresso wasn't all that bad (at least in the places that didn't serve SegaFredo ;-)

Though not "visible", I've been "around" - lurking every now & then, but I'm generally pretty busy & don't have much time for posting.
Re. the internym, in between things, I've been working on an article on blending I'd wanted to post as my Official Entrée into this forum, but, unfortunately, it's still not quite finished yet. Later, maybe...

Cheers,

H "tired, need coffee (or sleep)" V
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini, Hottop Coffee Roaster Digital
HV

Postby phil » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:43 pm

Looking forward to the article, that will be absolutely excellent, especially now I'm getting the kinks out the the next generation menuing (nothing to do with Jean-Luc) so I should be back to squirting content up onto the site fairly regularly.
Last edited by phil on Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods