Vac pot?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Paul L » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:16 pm

Thanks Phil, you can see another one falling for the same hypnosis. I started with a cheap Gaggia and in about 5 years I shall have the motoring equivalent of the personal garage that allows a different choice every day of the week!

A bit like you then I suspect...
Paul L

Postby Beanie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:29 pm

PaulL, just to support Phil's post, have you seen HV's site on vac pots with pictures :)

Yeah, those balancing brewers are pretty!
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Kaarina » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:29 pm

Both Cona and Hario seem awfully fragile. After all, you have to clean these delicate glass labyriths too and just the thought gives me sweaty hands... OK, maybe I am clumsier than most.... :?

Speaking of breaking things, what coffee preparation method would you use on a sailboat in which everything gets nicely shaken-and-stirred all the time and where the electricity is 12W ?
LaPavoni Europiccola
MiniMoka grinder
Espressoparts all-steel tamper
Kaarina

Postby jameso » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:35 pm

Kaarina wrote:what coffee preparation method would you use on a sailboat in which everything gets nicely shaken-and-stirred all the time and where the electricity is 12W

Poor-over filter?
jameso

Postby zix » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:21 pm

I've heard those are only used in dinghys, jameso.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby AlanP » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:50 pm

Paul L
Have a look on Ebay
I picked up one the other week, with a double hot plate, for £15 +pp
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Paul L » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:37 pm

Thanks all, I learned something new today. I guess the next time a visit a TMC'er I'll ask to try a vac pot - to see if I like it rather than then money. Even new they're clearly a lot cheaper than espresso.
Paul L

Postby lukas » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:47 pm

I just got an old Bodum Santos from Ebay for 6€, but it has to arrive yet. HV's site about the Vacpots is a very interesting and appetite-wetting read!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby phil » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:50 pm

You'll like the Santos Lukas. Welcome to the light side!

(The light side of the coffee force is for those of us who realise that the wondrous beans have applications other than in our expensive espresso machines!)
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:55 pm

Phil, if I only had an expensive espresso machine! I regularily type "E61" or some other search strings into ebay's search field, but heck, they all of a sudden seem to burst my budget when the end of the auction nears ;)
But, actually I found the Santos (and this dubious Bodum Espresso-Set) wrongly labled when searching for Espresso-machines, I think that's why I got them so cheap :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby phil » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:00 pm

That's great mate. You can drink espresso at work. Learn about all the wonderful tastes in coffee that you don't get from an espresso machine.

Oh dear I've got myself all worked up. I better go downstairs and roast a nice Kenyan or Costa Rican. :roll:

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby AlanP » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:32 pm

Kaarina wrote:what coffee preparation method would you use on a sailboat in which everything gets nicely shaken-and-stirred all the time and where the electricity is 12W ?

Having suffered broken press pots and coffee grounds all over the place I gave up a long time ago trying to make a decent brew onboard, so now the order of the day is either instant coffee or tea bags. :(
If you must have proper coffee at sea try brewing it in an enamel pot (cowboy style) serve through a tea strainer.
Fair winds......Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:37 pm

Ah, Kaarina.... useless coffee gadgets.... you've come to the right place.... kinda feel like Jimmy Saville here... *presses button on chair* "What have we got here then...?" From some of my more recent finds... electrical coffee appliances which I probably wouldn't want to take anywhere near water nor put any in ;-)
First we have: The Zelco Brisk Brew Dual Voltage Coffee Maker especially good in 1970s boat interiors. Though if you don't want something quite as high tec there's the "square is cool" Zelco Mug 1 plus Base
Or, for the lady about town not wishing to be caught short with out a cuppa (one of my all time faves), we have the "don't leave home without it" Velox Travel kit.
Or, if you're really after something special, it has to be the Travel Perk 6 Cup 12 Volt AC/DC Coffee Maker Kit Bet you K7 has one of them, the attache case makes it look so pro... :lol:
I could go on and on, but Phil is starting to stare and my medication is going to kick in soon :D But before it does, never let it be said that my posts are completely useless.... the best thing we have ever found is this stuff Scoot Guard it's sold under all kinds of names and for all sorts of purposes. It works really well, even when heeling, and when you're not using it, you can just roll it up. That said we always found the best way to improve the wind, was to send mum down to make coffee and as soon as she would come back with the cups, we'd be going along nicely.
D
Ps. Phil, I'll be round tomorrow to pick up the Spaz, 10am ok? :twisted:
Phil 'I put dark roasted kenyan in my espresso' wrote:The light side of the coffee force is for those of us who realise that the wondrous beans have applications other than in our expensive espresso machines!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby zapty » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:37 am

Interesting and worth a try.
There are some secondhand "as new" Cona vac pots (size D) on offer on a site I frequent for around GBP 35.
Is this a deal worth pursuing?
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby phil » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:16 pm

In the UK a new size D is about GBP 60 if it's a kitchen (stove top) model but it's about GBP 105 if it's a table top model.

Personally I reckon the table top models are daft anyway. That's a good but not truly outstanding price for the stove top model. Certainly worth a pop if they are genuinely as new.

Oh and Dom - who said anything about "dark roasted" Kenyan?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods