Single Origins and all that....

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Single Origins and all that....

Postby hairy.bob » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:12 pm

Hi all, its been a while since I was last here (work and stuff have been getting in the way) but it is nice to be back and I just had to share this...

After having to work loads of weekends I finally got one off and went into Covent Garden last Saturday. Missing my morning coffee I skipped along to Monmouth St with a light heart (no work) and the wife in tow and asked for a single origin filter. The beloved wanted a single origin latte being partial to lattes made with their medium roast columbian - not a big deal no?
The girl behind the counter didn't appear to understand and kept waving at the price board and pointing to the word filter but just as I was about to explain that that was OK if they could do a SO latte fine if not then that was OK too the next person in the queue butted in and moaned that "They won't do it because single origin espressos don't taste good at all"
There was a pause as I drew breath to remonstrate...
Look of certain doom on face of wife and light heart (see above) made me think better of it so I just shut up, paid for the filter and got out of there.

The reason for posting is this - I like SO espressos, I like the variety the differences etc etc. and the question is am I mad?

What do others think?
HB

PS - anyone heard from Joey? How'd the summer go in Vienna?
La Pavoni Professional
Generic Glass FP
Moka Pot
Mazzer Mini E
hairy.bob

Postby Beanie » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:27 pm

We enjoy SO espresso & capp in our home :) There are just some times we prefer it over a blend and vice versa. We love the variance and besides, if you want to tinker around with your own blend, tasting as SO, for me, is essential.

Speaking of Joey, SO definitely works well at the Mocca Club. I'm due to give her a shout. I'll be sure to let her know we miss her :cry:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby hairy.bob » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:38 pm

We tend to drink SOs almost exclusively at home these days - partly to fit the mood of the day (each one has a different character) and partly because I like the additional variability/risk (sort of russian roulette with my taste buds) that a SO and the la Pavoni brings - I never know what I am going to get and so if it tastes good I am delighted (even if it only tastes a little good). The thing that got me was the tone that the "next in the queue" used which was to imply that only peasants or the uncultured ask for SO espressos.
>sigh<
Talking of Joey - say hello frm me, she fed me loads of SO espressos one after the other when I went to Vienna and I must say it was one of the best days I have had for a long time (even if I didn't sleep for a week afterwards :shock: :D )
HB
La Pavoni Professional
Generic Glass FP
Moka Pot
Mazzer Mini E
hairy.bob

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:38 pm

I love origin espresso, and was amazed to hear that Monmouth would be like that. But I also heard on a certain Podcast recently that Mark Prince holds the same views. I don't think your mad at all, you just have a palette that is refined enough to enjoy the finer points of an espresso :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:53 am

hairy.bob wrote:The thing that got me was the tone that the "next in the queue" used which was to imply that only peasants or the uncultured ask for SO espressos. >sigh<

And you so rightly chose to ignore that "next in the queue" narrow-mindedness because we know better :wink: Really, who has the right to tell anybody what to like. With all the cultures in the world with their own sometimes "seemingly" strange cuisine, our palettes are all just used to different things... AND, even if there was an "ultimate" espresso blend out there loved by every single coffee professional/expert/guru (as impossible as it seems), it still doesn't mean I have to even like it one bit, non?

Okay, need to take a deeep huge breath now and calm down.... because unsurprisingly, I could say soooooooooo much more :P

Later,
M :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:59 am

I take my hat off to those who can come up with the balance involved in making a blend, it takes skill and a palate much more refined than mine. That said, to think of a simple parallel, what about vintage champagne? The whole idea there is to create an exceptional wine which exhibits the special qualities of that particular year. Surely we are asking for the same when we want a quality SO? I know that when I buy my beans individually, they have been chosen as representing the best (or at least a high standard) available of that years crop for the particular region. If the crop isn't good enough, my sources just wouldn't sell them. Can you always be so sure about the quality of all of the beans in a blend?
I love Daterra, it is a quality blend and is so smooth, but it doesn't challenge me, it doesn't excite me in the same way a SO can. I know that I am experiencing the bean at its best and most pure when drinking SO. Saying that SO's taste bad, for me, shows an unrefined palate and a lack of adventure!
As for Monmouth, weekend staff?

Maybe instead of bothering to respond to such idiots, we should carry TMC cards to hand out ;-) Don't bother responding to such idiocy, simply provide them with the means of correcting their ignorance :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:11 am

Yes, to say that tastes bad a sespresso is wrong. To say that some have flavour profiles that are too intense for espresso is correct though. A SO Kenyan as espresso would be too acidic for most people's pallate for example. I believe the skill in a good espresso blend is to try and get a profile with most of the flavour characteristics of good coffees, but I could be wrong.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby tisri » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:04 pm

I must admit that roasting the Gethumbwini peaberry to just past first crack and using it in a cappuccino is spectacularly pleasing to drink. I'm not normally a 'capp' lover but tried it while mucking about with my Gaggia, and enjoyed it intensely.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:10 pm

:cry:

First he roasts everything into charcoal and then drinks Kenya in Espresso :cry:

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Off Topic