Just had my first two cups of Hawaain coffee

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Just had my first two cups of Hawaain coffee

Postby Terje » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:15 am

My mom got us a pound when she was in the US, cause it's much cheaper there than it is in Stockholm. Don't know the exact beans here. We roasted them, a darker medium roast or whatever you'd call it. There definitely was a second crack but they didn't turn black, as in a full french roast.

We brewed them in her moka pot... poured it in our respective cups... took a few sips of the coffe juast as it was... very tasty indeed! But with its clear acidity I thought that this coffee can probably take a little milk. I don't know if that's heresy but we both poured some hot milk into it and... it was heaven!

We just sat there, took a sip or two and moaned, heved deep sighs and took another sip... I nearly cried... there was, with the milk added, something very chocolaty about the taste. Mild and yet fresh. I could describe this better in swedish. For the last mouthful left in the cup we both tried to add a little more milk but that was the wrong way to go.

This was by far the best coffee I've ever had. I had some this morning too. The Kenyan coffee I have is relatively close to this but this was milder, in a good way. And had a more complex taste. I have a new habit, a new urge. It won't matter wht this costs here in Sweden, I'll be buying it in the future. I will certainly drink other kinds of coffee but the thought of living without this... it's just too painful.
Terje

Postby ivdp » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:30 pm

Since Hawaii consists of some islands, and on various islands coffee is grown, of very much different qualities . ., could you be more precise what kind of Hawaii you drank?

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Terje » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:31 am

Yes, I can now that I've looked at the package... Kona.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby ivdp » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:40 am

That's the good one . .!

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Terje » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:57 am

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure what she got cause I'm not sure I told her which kind to get but she knew they were gonna have to be from Hawaii and probably real expensive and known as "very, very good". She's got money and truly loves great coffee so the price tag didn't scare her off.

They cost $35 for two pounds in Ne York but nearly the double in Sweden, 400 crowns per kilo (that's what... €45?). We both thought that was silly... until we tasted it and realized that you do get around 30-40 cups out of a kilo and that means they only cost 10-15 crowns per cup and that's not so bad.

Now, I have heard about the Jamaican Blue Moutain beans. They cost the double of what the Kona beans cost here in Sweden, 800 crowns per kilo (roughly €90). It's hard to imgaine that they can be twizce as good as the Kona beans but... if they are it'll most certainly be worth it.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby ivdp » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:41 pm

Well Terje, what if they are only 1/3 as good??
What if Galapagos is 99% as good as Kona?

:-)

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Terje » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:23 am

ivdp wrote:Well Terje, what if they are only 1/3 as good??

Well... then they're not worth twice as much, are they? :)
Terje

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping