Yemen Mokha Ismaili (Hirazhi) is FANTASTIC

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Yemen Mokha Ismaili (Hirazhi) is FANTASTIC

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:03 pm

I had today my first espresso poured from my homeroasted Yemen Ismaili and I really love it. It is the best coffee I have ever tasted. The taste is so damn silky and it smells like pure chocolate with a small fruity aspect. The aftertaste is superb. It is now almost 3 hours after I had my last espresso and I still feel the silky aftertaste in my mouth.

I found the French Press result less impressive, maybe because the chocolate taste is not that dominant in FP and I prefer the Kenyan for the winey aspect in a French Press, but I will give it another try.

I roasted 20 second into 2nd crack, which resulted in a mix of 50% in Full City stage and 50% in City stage due to the fact that it gives a very uneven roast, which gives a very balanced cup.

I was already a big fan of the SM Monkey Blend, but now I know how they create the chocolate taste in it, which is the reason I love this blend so much. Simon (P), I saw you tried to copy it, but I am 100% sure you missed this Yemen.

Furthermore the beans look beautiful, they are very ugly as greens but roasted they look sexy, daring and provocative, if you can say something like that about beans. I think that nobody will understand outside this forum and other coffee lovers, that you can name a bean sexy, but I hope I will find some fellow-thinkers on this website.

I am very lucky because I've still got almost 5 kilogram in stock and Marcy if you read this thread you are really lucky to have another 2,5 kilgram of the other Yemen + 5 kilogram of the Ismaili.

Steve, I know you are not a big fan of Yemen, but please give it a try. I will offer you a free sample to taste and maybe I can convince you to have them at stock and otherwise can I convine Ivo, Mark or Jan?

Anyway I am very happy and curious if other member have the same or exactly the 100% opposite experience.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Jo2 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:10 pm

Hi Steven... You made me very curious about those beans... Sounds very good... I am still thinking about buying myself a roaster and import some nice greens, but still don't know what roaster to buy...
Anyway... Enjoy your "chocolate"...
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby simonp » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:43 pm

I was already a big fan of the SM Monkey Blend, but now I know how they create the chocolate taste in it, which is the reason I love this blend so much. Simon (P), I saw you tried to copy it, but I am 100% sure you missed this Yemen.

I just copied the bean selection that someone came up with having identified from the green beans what the contents were. It could ahve been wrong, but I don't think Yemen is reckoned to be in the SM blend.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Beanie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:28 pm

I can hardly wait now!
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping