Natural Bread Oxford

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Natural Bread Oxford

Postby dr.chris » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Hasbean coffee and lots of bread and thats about it - on Little Clarendon St Oxford.

Not convinced they have everything right but they are not far off and the coffee was lovely.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Re: Natural Bread Oxford

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 am

Did you not try Colombia Coffee Roasters in the Covered Market? I've heard only good things. Can't believe you were so nearby!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 pm

We did try them at a market a year or two ago and were not that impressed. It was expensive and its also horses for courses, in that I didn't like their blend. (It's not them its me etc...)

My brother lives in Somertown and these guys are within walking distance which was also a contributing factor. The aim had been missing bean but they were shut at this time of year.

Some interesting cafes around that part of Oxford. Would be great to have the time to explore them in more detail.
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:37 pm

I have some good friends based near Summertown, small world. If I recall correctly, there is a branch of Natural Bread in Woodstock as well.

Yes, there is certainly a decent 'scene' coming together around the city, though it's only by word of mouth that I know of it. To think, it was a real coffee wasteland not long ago.

I believe The Missing Bean roast their own now, having previously had a medium dark roast from a fairly high end commercial roaster whose name entirely escapes me.

There are at least three indie roasters in Oxfordshire too.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 pm

The missing bean have a second site where they roast, and also serve coffee. Looking on their website its at Newtec place off Magdalen road

Oxford is my home town but I go there so rarely that I don't have a feel for it at all.
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:54 am

Sorry so long replying Chris. I hadn't realised you were originally from Oxford too, though most likely it's my now not so good memory at fault. I rarely if ever get there these days either, not for nearly 20 years with any regularity.

I often wondered where Missing Bean roast, i should have looked at their site! It's been years since I was in there too. I wouldn't recognise the businesses in The Turl these days and it must look extremely odd with Duckers now terribly sadly gone. All the old landmarks of my youth are disappearing.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 pm

A long range conversation.

My dad and uncle, then a cousin, ran a boatbuilding business next to Port Meadow, just down the road from the Perch, which was the first pub I got drunk in. It is now a restaurant and very different. The same happened to what was my local (the Fishes).
dr.chris

Return to Places to drink coffee