How many coffees at once?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How many coffees at once?

Postby Lambo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:36 pm

How many different coffees do people have on the go at any one time?
Does one's palate get "jaded" through drinking the same coffee?
How many "This coffee needs me to stop what I'm doing" moments do you get?

I normally only have one coffee on the go - open the bag of beans and keep using it till it's all gone, then on to the next one with 3 cups a day being average. The vast majority of my consumption is Central / South American, with the occasional deviation into Africa. My recent purchases included a Kenyan - Kiriga AB Washed and the first time I tried it after a run of Americans it was "Ooh, nice!", with the taste being totally different to the previous coffee I'd been drinking.
Unfortunately I haven't experienced that same sensation since that first cup :( - am I just too "used" to it now? I'm going to try alternating different coffees to see if I appreciate the differences and tastes more.

Perhaps I just need to drink more Kenyans! A few years ago I was doing something in the garden and got to the point where it was coffee time. I made some one and went back outside to what I was doing. I had a sip as I was walking out and it was "STOP!!!! Get a chair, sit in the sun and do nothing but ENJOY THIS COFFEE". I don't know what caused it - was it a change to a new coffee, did I somehow magically get it just right or what? Alas, I don't think I get too many moments like that :cry: The majority of my coffee drinking is with breakfast or at work from a flask I've made at home, so probably not the ideal for just appreciating the coffee.

Steve
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Re: How many coffees at once?

Postby dr.chris » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Well the missus has a couple and I have several different bags even if they are not all open.

As an aside I am now keeping all my coffee in the freezer. There are plenty of arguments over the rights and wrongs of this but it does really seem to help prevent the kind of deterioration I get when the beans are left out. I only tend to drink the good stuff at weekends so this helps.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Firstly, I have to say that as I approach the 3/4 century mark my taste capabilities have dropped off drastically. That said, I rarely roast the same coffees one time after the other. I only drink espresso and espresso based drinks and all of my blends are based on Brazilian or Colombian beans, i.e. 50% and the rest usually a mix of Central American and Ethiopian or Sumatran beans. I change the blend every roast, even if I'm happy with the present one. I don't have any "aha" experiences anymore (unless I pull out the monsooned Malabar) and I don't really miss them. I love my coffee, the beans last 12 to 14 days before I have to roast again and life is good. If I really want to remind myself just how good my coffee is I just have to drink one in a local café or restaurant. That reminds me of why I spend the time and energy roasting and doing the whole espresso ritual.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Tongle » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:01 pm

I currently have 4 different coffees in the cupboard and this is quite typical.

Sometimes I will do my own cupping to see if I can tell what the differences are.

There is always the latest Hasbean and I usually have two greens. I have four at the moment because I was sent a pack of Blue Mountain for leaving a review on a coffee site.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby sdh_texan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:29 pm

I have one coffee at a time. I roast 500g of greens (in two batches) each week. This matches the wife's and my consumption, so no need to freeze beans or worry much about storage, although I keep the roasted beans in a Planetary Design Airscape canister which should help keep oxygen away.

At the moment I'm working my way through a 5lb bag of Rwandan greens. Normally I'd vary the beans each week, but I've got way too much African in my inventory so I'm grinding (heh) my way through it. My preference is Central American, with my favorites generally being Guatemalan.
sdh_texan

Postby Alberto2445 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:08 pm

I also agree with the OP here. I don't take much coffee at a time. I take only 1 cup of coffee. And in all day I took 3 cups in total.
Alberto2445

Postby espressomattic » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:02 am

I do recall a day 12 years ago that Cakeboy and I monstered over half a dozen or so single origins or so in a couple of hours...14 double shots each.
They were great coffees...

And then there was that seminal moment outside McDonalds...that was 10 years ago. Fond memories my friend :)
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:23 am

A cheeky cheeseburger is the perfect "sponge" for too much coffee
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Tongle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Currently have 4 coffees in the house. Two Hasbean pre roasted and two green beans which I will roast when needed.

I don't always have four but have done this so I can compare my roasts to ones done professionally. I will be cupping soon.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 am

Feeling the pressure :mrgreen: