One week contemplating a machine.

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

One week contemplating a machine.

Postby Siamblue » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:36 am

Hi guys it's been a week now contemplating a machine for the family to use.really stressed reading all of the reviews and which are good and which are rubbish.
Narrowed it down now to a Delonghi ESAM4.350S managed to track s couple down that ar very low cup cycle, so hopefully I can get one for less than £200.
Now do I get s decent grinder to make the coffee better or is the machine upto the job with the plastic innards?
Also I was reading not to use oily or flavoured coffee through these machines anyone have any input on this for me?

Regards Gary.
Siamblue

Re: One week contemplating a machine.

Postby saturnian » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:18 pm

As far as I know, is always better to have a grinder and a machine separately, though if you are running on a budget, you could optionally get a good dripper and a decent grinder. Your budget will have to go upper there to include the grinder, but that also depends on how much excellence you require for your coffee, sometimes an automated machine like that will serve you well.
saturnian

Re: One week contemplating a machine.

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks for the input here. Saturnian is on the money regarding the grinder. Loosely speaking, you can make decent coffee with almost any espresso machine if you have a good grinder. If you go back through the archives here you will find thousands of discussions of this and they all amount to the same thing; the better the grinder the better the results, all other things being equal. One of the major problems with all bean-to-cup machines is the poor quality grinder, and this is as true with the most expensive of the machines as it is with the low-range machines. Unfortunately, a fancy chrome outfit sells, but a good (albeit invisible) grinder is ignored. Good luck on finding the right machine and please let us know about your experience. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Espresso