Grinder downgrade. Mine is just too big

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Grinder downgrade. Mine is just too big

Postby canta_brian » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:31 pm

I have a cunill ct1 (I believe - big grey square thind 2kg hopper, but all the images I see shot the ct1 as being a round body).

Edit: mine is a CT2. Google images still show round and square ones. Mine is square and has grey and black sort of stripes.

Anyway it has been a perfectly good grinder and still is. But I have moved and just don't have the luxury of the bench space I used to. So, the basic question is, which machine? I am leaning towards doserless and like the price of the rancilio rocky. I would however like the control of a measured dose. Is there a machine out that that does this without jumping in price to the mazzer mini range at over £500 odd? I doubt there is a huge amount of value in my 8 year old cunill to offset this sort of price jump!

Any help greatly appreciated.
canta_brian

Re: Grinder downgrade. Mine is just too big

Postby canta_brian » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:48 am

Hi again. Just found a review of the ibertlital mc2 written by Cakey on Happy Donkey. Anyone got a reason not to go for this .machine? Seems a relative bargain, but will I ,be frustrated in any way when comparing with my commercial sized Cunill?
canta_brian

Postby canta_brian » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:58 am

Or perhaps the Eureka Mignon Mk 2 Instantaneo .

Twice the price but the teal colour matches our kitchen.
canta_brian

Postby dr.chris » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:00 am

I had (still have, unused) an MC2. It probably won't be as good as what you have been using, and the grind adjustment is beyond painful, but for its price it is a decent grinder
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby canta_brian » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:23 pm

Cheers Chris. I think I will try and work out what my cunill might be worth and then see if that bridges the gap to the eureka. I doubt there is mush between the two machines for the 2-4 coffees daily i grind for.

What I really want is a small grinder that allows me to swap from mybeans to the decaf my wife now insists on
Maybe 2 of the iberitals is the answer! Although as I started this process to free up some space that may not be quite the point!
canta_brian

Postby dr.chris » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:15 pm

The Eureka seems to be well thought of (and something I had been thinking about until we got an ancient Mazza)

The other one that seems to come up in threads like this would be the Vario
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 pm

There is much to be said against the Vario. I won't say it here, but read the reviews carefully.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby canta_brian » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:13 pm

Interesting.

I hadn't really considered the vario. The eureka might be the option. Don't know how easy it will be to source. Main UK supplier is yet to respond to Mondays query as to stock in the colour I want.
canta_brian

Return to Espresso