Coffee shot

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee shot

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:36 pm

So "shots" have been around since Matt P did it in the Melbourne WBC, and I've heard of coffee folks enjoying them, but I have yet to have one I have enjoyed, are you one of the special few ?
Steve
Founder Member

Re: Coffee shot

Postby dr.chris » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:29 am

What do you define as a 'coffee shot'?
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Steve
Founder Member

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:53 pm

If I had a Mahlkönig EK43 lying around I would give it a try :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:08 pm

It just makes me want to run, but I am a real espresso fiend. If I want long and black, it's usually a pour over. Would love to try an expertly produced one though.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:30 pm

You can do them without the EK 43, but I know what you mean. I'd prefer to use them for spice grinding.

Thats my point Mark I'd rather have a chemex than a badly pulled espresso, but theres some people who really love them
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:41 pm

I did this for a guest last weekend. He liked it, but when I tried it I thought it was terrible. Everyone to their own, I guess.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dr.chris » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:54 am

OK read the details now. Sounds like what happens on rare occasions when you forget to switch off the espresso machine on time and you end up with a large cup full of weak espresso and sourness.

I am sure in the right hands it might be interesting

But personally I'd rather use my expensive espresso machine for making sweet (and if I am lucky amazing) espresso with lovely artisan coffee beans and my considerably cheaper presspot (and cheap, nothing special but reliable supermarket beans) for making mugs of black caffinated joy.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby Steve » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm with you Dr, I'm with you
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CGP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:45 am

I've only ever had 1 but it was from Maxwell at Colonna & Smalls so y'know, rather well made :wink:

A lot like an americano but with the body turned up, interesting for sure but not something I'd seek out to try again. If you're anywhere near Bath get yourself to C&S to give one a try, I don't think they're actually on the menu but am sure if you ask nicely one could appear just for you.
CGP

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:20 am

It reminds me of the one that didn't make me sick was at St Ali in Melbourne the day after Matt had done it in the WBC.

But it could have been the euphoria of being in Melbourne and the delicious eggs, but even then it was average.

good to see you on here CGP (for those who don't know this is @HasBeanChris on twitter)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:02 am

Hey, welcome to the party Chris :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CGP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:27 am

CakeBoy wrote:Hey, welcome to the party Chris :)

Thank you kindly! I'm not really sure what's going on but will work it out eventually!
CGP

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:56 am

CGP wrote:

Thank you kindly! I'm not really sure what's going on but will work it out eventually!

Welcome to TMC, Chris :D None of us have any idea what is going on so you will fit right in :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 pm

CGP wrote:

Me neither mate. Cider helps! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Espresso