Roasting with Huky 500

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roasting with Huky 500

Postby bluevalentine » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:07 pm

First roast with ‘Puffing Lily’ aka The Hooky Monster aka Huky 500. Glad it’s over with. Very nervous cos real flames + fully manual control is not as comforting as my old HotProg where if things starts to go tits up you can just press a switch and abort the program.

I roasted 300g, scaled up from the 250g of the HotProg, my most regular blend.

For the record it was:- 150g Nicaragua Finca La Fany Bourbon Washed + 100g Costa Rica Herbazu Honey Process + 50g Ethiopia Kebel Kercha Guji Natural

Roasted to just short of 2nd crack.

Lovely even roast. I did take some pics but they were a tad soft because it was 1/20 at f2.8 (batts died in flash) and my hands were shaking!

The Huki 500 looks like it's been designed by a committee consisting of George Stephenson, Heath Robinson and Adolphe Sax. Roaster is beautifully made with some nice touches including a bean trier that works and several lovely wooden (teak? Rosewood?) handles. Makes less smoke than my old HotProg.

The 'infra red' stove, much criticised on other forums worked fine for me. I changed the propane adaptor that came with it for a red click-on one.

Kudos to Mr Kuang Li who answered all my tedious questions by return and delivered from Taiwan to Dublin in 5 days.

Nice glass of rosé in the garden before I clear up, methinks*. — at Sandymount, Dublin

*In the event flash floods banjaxed this idea.
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:55 am

Thank you for the update. I guess that a little trepidation on the first use of such a hands on roaster is natural :?. I hope the coffee meets all your expectations and that you managed to enjoy the rosé indoors despite the flash flood :wink:.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bluevalentine » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:26 am

I WAS enjoying the rosé until the rain came in through the ceiling. If there's one thing it hate it's dilute rosé! :cry:
Yes, the first roast was a tad scary. With the HotProg you sling the beans in at around 70-odd C and a beep-beep announces the arrival of 212, shortly after which the roast finishes - 216-ish on most of the profiles I use. And the thermo is fairly steady (makes me wonder) unlike the digital job on Puffing Lily's bean mass which yaws constantly,up a tad, down a bit, needing frequent tweaking. With the Huky you don't bung the beans (300g) in until 240 C - Mr. Kuano Li's starting point.
So, a completely different mindset needed, not to mention constant attention. Now, where did I put the tranquilizers....
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby bluevalentine » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Getting more used to the Huki Monster now. On my 5th roast. It's loads of fun except you can't take your eyes off the damn thing. The flap that controls how much contact there is between fan and roaster works very well. Producing nice even roast to 'Fiorentina' (all my roasts are named after Italian cities, going south they get darker), I guess that's around 'City +', dark but not shiny, with far less chaff than the Hottop and a much mellower, more nuanced flavour.
Don't think I'm going to link it to RL/Artisan & my Macbook Pro. I spend two thirds of my bloody life on computers!
Anyhow, thus far, recommended and if anyone on here is in Dublin and wants to come round for a look and/or a play, my pleasure.
Attachments
Huki 2.jpg
Huki 2.jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 26492 times
bluevalentine

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Glad you're having a good time with the Huky. What do you mean "less chaff?" The amount of chaff that comes off the beans is only dependent upon the beans, afaik. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:11 am

It is good to hear that you are enjoying the Huky so much 8).

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bluevalentine » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 am

bruceb wrote:Glad you're having a good time with the Huky. What do you mean "less chaff?" The amount of chaff that comes off the beans is only dependent upon the beans, afaik. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The HotTop/HotProg and the Huky are very different concepts. As you know the Hotty deposits chaff in a tray below the drum which you empty after the roast is completed. The Huky has an external fan on top of which the dump sieve sits during the roast. A double curved pipe leads from the chimney/bean inlet of the roaster to the dump sieve and, during fan operation, chaff is sucked into the sieve where it is trapped under the inverted funnel used initially for loading the beans. All very primitive and 'Heath Robinson' but it works like a charm.

When I roasted with the HotProg there was usually a significant amount of residual chaff in the dump/cooling tray, mixed in with the beans. My method for dealing with this (after cooling) was to dump the beans into a very large (catering size) colander and have a rummage through with my hands and remove some of the excess chaff. After which careful decanting into the bag or grinder hopper would ensure that the minimum of chaff got through.

With the Huky, the strange arrangement of the 'cake tin sieve' bean tray, inverted funnel and 'saxophone pipe' aligned to the powerful fan pulls almost all the chaff out of the roaster. It looks crude, but is very effective. The distaff side is you have to empty the chaff before you dump the beans and the time taken for this has to be factored into the roasting process so you don't over-roast. I've speeded the process up by utilising a second tray/sieve which I ordered from Mr Kuanho Li when I bought the roaster.
The beans ejected from the Huki are entirely chaff free, or as near as makes no difference, no more than half a dozen chaff flakes.

Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby motoman » Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm

I have just asked Mr Li to confirm an order and final charges, my Behmor is a little tired and ungraditus hits us elderly folk quite badly.
The whole outfit with gas burner and extra fan, funnel and tray will cost around £1,000 including freight, I am just telling this for the benefit of any fellow idiot why fancies one.

Please send food parcels to my usual hovel.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Wow that is quite an upgrade from the Behmor, Pete :shock: I can't wait to hear how you get on with it :D I'm jealous that you are still consumed by ungraditis and ashamed to say that I'm entirely content with all of my coffee equipment. I just don't know what is wrong with me :oops:

I have sent a food parcel consisting of assorted baked goods as requested. It may be a few days before it arrives as I have sent it via Cakey so that he can add his own contribution and pass it on to you :D

GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Nice one Pete, please document your journey with this one. It is very interesting at that price. My contribution is to eat the muffins and pass it on! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Tue May 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Sorry Greenie, eating anything passed by Cakey has made me feel unwell.

Well, the Huky is ordered and Mr Li has estimated up to 21 days for delivery. However; I had seen reports of delivery in less than a week. It is a bit scary going from easy automation to total manual control but anything for a laugh, stand below my window and you may catch it as I hurl it out.

Just in case anyone else is considering a Huky 500T (the T is for the new T piece that err does summat to the thingy). If this is too technical I apologise, being a genius is a pain sometimes. Anyway: with the necessary extras of a second tray and fan it has cost £1,070,00 including gas burner and freight. This is comparable to the cost of the HotTop, the upside is that it can roast up to 1/2 a kilo and cools it down in two minutes. The downside (for me) is that it is advised to use a thermometer (also included) and roasting software. I am now looking for insurance to compensate my son when my head explodes.

I blame Bluevalentine (Christian or Surname?) for helping to make up my mind. I know we are here to help one another but forcing me to sell my sons other kidney to pay for it is downright wicked of him.

Pete
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Call me Mr Civet! :)

Well at least your son can now relax knowing he has no more kidneys that you can sell. Happy chap :)

My next question was going to be the use of roasting software. Will you be using GB's Roastlogger? Very interested in this.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Wed May 20, 2015 8:51 am

I can now boil a kettle using both gas and electricity, I have also learned not to use the same kettle for both jobs.
If a roast logger is merely a nickname for a sunburnt lumberjack I am making technical progress,
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Wed May 20, 2015 12:22 pm

motoman wrote:I can now boil a kettle using both gas and electricity, I have also learned not to use the same kettle for both jobs.
If a roast logger is merely a nickname for a sunburnt lumberjack I am making technical progress,

That is exactly what it is, Pete. I didn’t realise that you were so tech-savvy :wink: I guess you will have more than enough to deal with to master the new roaster without concerning yourself with roasting software. In any case I would be loath to suggest using RoastLogger as you would need to sell another USD 44 worth of your son’s body parts :? in order to purchase a compatible input device such as the Victor 86B.

GreenBean

Postby motoman » Thu May 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Quick not to Mr Valentine who is feeling blue, sorry sir, I seem to have hijacked your thread. I was hoping you would jump in and pass on wise words and no no's.

When it finally stops raining in Ireland, please have a glass of rose (with that little thingy over the e) and pretend I paid for it.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques