New studies on the effeccts of coffee on memory

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New studies on the effeccts of coffee on memory

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 pm

There's a short note about a new study (published in Nature and available at a cost) in the Register:here

More importantly, perhaps, is a note that the old saw about coffee dehydrating the body has been finally debunked. :P
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks for that, Bruce. For those who haven't followed the links to read the articles the study is titled "Post-study caffeine administration enhances memory consolidation in humans".

I did a similar, though possibly less scientific, study in my student days and found the same effect. I went further, however, and also found that "Post-study alcohol administration diminishes memory consolidation in humans". I checked these results over and over again and am confident in my findings. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:01 am

Bugger, I forgot to read it :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:33 am

I always just let GB read these things for me.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:10 pm

I can confirm the studies that GreenBean has dedicated his liver to, it is still suicide for him to urinate within 10 metres of a naked flame and alcoholics pay him to breathe on them.
Fortunately there is no danger of electrical brain energy causing an explosion as the grey pickled lump between his ears is now totally inert.
Strangely he can say thing like 'Post-study caffeine administration enhances memory consolidation in humans' without any understanding of what he has said. This is a result of the Student belief that 'Wood Alcohol' and 'Wood Aged' are the same.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Spot on, Pete. You seem to know my medical history so well I am wondering if you were responsible form my last medical examination. I thought it was overly familiar, even for a prostate exam. :? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:57 am

Dear sir
, my defence lawyer is working on a reply to your remarks that will hopefully keep me out of prison and you out of pocket.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:08 pm

I will look forward to the reply when you/your lawyer are ready. I am in need of a good laugh. :wink:

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:12 am

I don't know whether the defense or the prosecution will be interested in this, but I think it bears quite heavily on this case.
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:29 am

Thank you so much for your help, Bruce. I am not sure whether I am the defence or the prosecution but I like the article. The following paragraph, in particular, caught my attention:

"A new study published in the Neurology journal Wednesday found that men who drank more than the recommended amount of daily alcohol experienced a significant decline in overall cognitive ability and could end up with the memory of someone as much as a half a decade older."

This explains so much. I am not sure whose memory I have ended up with but it is definitely not mine. :cry: :lol:

GreenBean

Postby motoman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:03 am

As long as I can choose the time and length of my proposed memory loss, I am confident that I can win my ham sandwich.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:13 pm

motoman wrote:As long as I can choose the time and length of my proposed memory loss, I am confident that I can win my ham sandwich.

That is good news as it seems we may both be a sandwich short of a picnic. :?

GreenBean

Postby frcn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:06 pm

I keep forgetting to read that article.. Ooo! Look! A squirrel!
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 am

I figure coffee in the morning = +1, booze in the evening = -1 for a balance = 0. Who can argue wtih 0?
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 am

That sounds like a good plan. I guess it is what many of us do now and look how well balanced we are. :shock: :)

GreenBean

Next

Return to Off Topic