How to make Bulletproof Morning Coffee

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How to make Bulletproof Morning Coffee

Postby double_shot » Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm

I haven't tried this myself - I like my morning espresso too much. I don't remember reading about Bulletproof coffee on the TMC so if it has been covered before forgive me for dragging it up again.

[Mod's Edit: Removed direct link.]

"When people hear more than half my calories come from healthy fats, one of the most common questions after “Why?” is “How?”

I start the day with a cup of Bulletproof coffee. I learned about the power of butter at 18,000 feet elevation near Mt. Kailash in Tibet when I staggered into a guest house from the -10 degree weather and was literally rejuvenated by a creamy cup of yak butter tea. The biohacker in me asked, “why?” and that was the genesis of my recipe below, which is widely heralded as a cognitive enhancing recipe..." Dave Asprey

EDIT: Humm I'm not so sure this was the best section to post this in. CB please move it if there is a better location.
double_shot

Re: How to make Bulletproof Morning Coffee

Postby GreenBean » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 am

double_shot wrote:....EDIT: Humm I'm not so sure this was the best section to post this in. CB please move it if there is a better location.

After clicking on the link and having a good laugh I did think that this belongs in a new snake oil section but decided that the off topic section would do. :D :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 am

This is serious stuff Beanie and I abhor your demeaning of such a brilliant product. After much research over breakfast, I have come up with a new line of titanium and kevlar mix breakfast mugs. Built to withstand bullshit under extreme pressure, I am offering shares im my new enterprise to discerning and intelligent members of this forum.

In the offchance that we can find an intelligent and discerning member here, I invite additional design ideas to be incorporated in my mug design (Please note that catapillar tracks and the abitity to return fire is overkill).
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby double_shot » Tue May 14, 2013 11:59 am

double_shot

Postby bruceb » Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 am

motoman wrote:This is serious stuff Beanie

Whoa! That was a low blow!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 am

motoman wrote:This is serious stuff Beanie and I abhor your demeaning of such a brilliant product. After much research over breakfast, I have come up with a new line of titanium and kevlar mix breakfast mugs. Built to withstand bullshit under extreme pressure, I am offering shares im my new enterprise to discerning and intelligent members of this forum.

In the offchance that we can find an intelligent and discerning member here, I invite additional design ideas to be incorporated in my mug design (Please note that catapillar tracks and the abitity to return fire is overkill).

It seems that my bullshit detector may be tuned too sensitively as it also went into alarm when I read your post, Motoman. :oops: I apologise most humbly if this is the case.

Having turned my detector off I can now see that your idea for the bullshit withstanding breakfast mugs is brilliant. I would love to invest obscene amounts of money in this enterprise but, unfortunately, I do not meet either of your criteria for investors. :cry:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Wed May 15, 2013 11:08 am

bruceb wrote:
motoman wrote:This is serious stuff Beanie

Whoa! That was a low blow!

I agree, Bruce. I doubt Beanie will ever forgive you, Pete. :evil: I am not fit to lick her boots and certainly not worthy of such an illustrious name.

GreenBean

Postby motoman » Wed May 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Seems I have been blending my beanies again.

Old age mate.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby double_shot » Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm

GreenBean wrote:
double_shot wrote:....EDIT: Humm I'm not so sure this was the best section to post this in. CB please move it if there is a better location.

After clicking on the link and having a good laugh I did think that this belongs in a new snake oil section but decided that the off topic section would do. :D :wink:

Clearly when you stopped laughing you never bothered to research any of the claims made!

No one bothered to comment on the information in the second link, which could have been a step in the right direction to establish whether the clams had any merit or not.

If anyone has any interest in why people seemingly blindly draw the assumptions they do here's a clue MINDSPACE Behavioural Economics.

Forgive me if I have my doubts about the level of cognitive abilities on display in this thread. I would include myself in that as entering this discussion is obviously not an intelligent action to take.

There is supporting research on some of the claims made in the article which can easily be accessed on the web for anyone that wishes to draw an informed conclusion of their own.

Enjoy Eating Saturated Fats: They're Good for You. Donald W. Miller, Jr., M.D.

I haven't spent any time looking into the pros and cons of MCT and have no views either way at this stage. Although I have heard some positive things being discussed by people using it. As for the benefits of coffee I haven't investigated that aspect and could accept that claims may well be biased towards marketing (my baseless opinion and assumption). I guess I could start by following up the sources cited in this article Health Benefits of Coffee and see where the information leads before passing my judgement.

The point of posting the link to Bulletproof coffee here was purely because of the coffee aspect/recipe, which is apparently "Off Topic" on a coffee based forum (care to explain the logic there?). Are you claiming that Bulletproof coffee isn’t a legitimate coffee recipe?
double_shot

Postby GreenBean » Thu May 16, 2013 1:42 am

When I read your original post I thought you were posting this to poke fun at the claims made on the Bulletproof coffee website. This was reinforced by clicking the link and seeing the claims made on the website. It was further reinforced by your edit stating:
double_shot wrote:EDIT: Humm I'm not so sure this was the best section to post this in. CB please move it if there is a better location.

I decided to support you in poking fun at the website. It is clear now that I was badly mistaken and, had I realised that you were serious, I would never have posted in such a way. I apologise unreservedly for the offence my post has obviously caused. It is clear that I need to be more careful to ensure I understand the meaning behind a post before responding.

Having said that my views on the site have not changed. When I clicked on the link I saw that this was a site selling coffee and making various claims that this was "upgraded" coffee with health benefits not available in other coffee and that the coffee had lower levels of mycotoxins than other coffee. This is at least implying that other coffee suppliers are supplying inferior, unhealthy or less healthy coffee.

I consider these to be outrageous claims that would need serious evidence to support them. I feel that it must be clear in posts such as this that these claims are not supported by TMC and that we are not promoting the site or the products advertised on the site. The live link to the site was removed to ensure we are not improving the search engine ranking of such sites.
double_shot wrote:No one bothered to comment on the information in the second link, which could have been a step in the right direction to establish whether the clams had any merit or not.

I can not speak for others but I make it a rule never to click on links unless they are accompanied by an explanation of what it links to, why it is relevant and what I should take from it. In this case I could see it was a link to the work of Uffe Ravnskov so I did not feel any need to click it. I read his work, including his book, on cholesterol myths and statins over a decade ago and consider it well written, well researched and well argued. His views, however, are still not supported by mainstream medical opinion. I fail to see how this is relevant to the Bulletproof website. From memory Ravnskov argued for the right balance of essential fats and against cutting fats out of the diet but I do not recall him ever advocating consuming the quantities of fats discussed on the website.
double_shot wrote:The point of posting the link to Bulletproof coffee here was purely because of the coffee aspect/recipe, which is apparently "Off Topic" on a coffee based forum (care to explain the logic there?). Are you claiming that Bulletproof coffee isn’t a legitimate coffee recipe?

Unfortunately this was not stated in your original post. The website covers many issues and claims associated with diet, health, fitness, wellbeing, intelligence, coffee and fats. If you include the link to Ravnskov the subjects covered are vast. I would suggest that it is unreasonable to expect anyone to read all of this and the links and supporting evidence unless they have a particular interest in it. Personally I spent about a minute looking at the website and decided that I am not interested in looking further. If you or others believe that we are missing something important then I would suggest that the onus is on you to do the research, provide the evidence and present it in a way that we can assimilate quickly. It may be better to raise topics on specific issues that people may have an interest in such as "Views on adding butter to coffee".

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 am

I just assumed this was some kind of Britiish humour that I didn't understand.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 am

I just assumed it was the usual bullshit, jumping to conclusions is something we all do and I stick to mine based on the outragous claims made. We live, breath and love coffee because we want to, the health benefits or othwise are side effects we live with. I see no problem with my breakfast coffe and toast with butter and my home made marmalade. Put Yak butter into the equasion and I woupld probably not notice the difference.

Genuine snake oil is proven to work, the concoction sold by the travalling medicine man had no connection with anything related to snakes and was better used to grease axles.I place My Asprey in the latter group. Show me serious scientific research that proves his claims made for Bulletproof and I will apologise. Ask me to read articles on the benefits of high cholesterol and I will think you are having a laugh.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby lsjms » Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 am

A regular customer at my coffee stall told me about this about a year ago but his 'bulletproof' coffee was made with an espresso and an equal quantity of unrefined cocconut oil. I would not choose butter as a regular fat to consume extra of but as someone considered underweight on those BMI charts, I need all the calories going.

This struck a chord with me having adopted Mark Twights mountaineering habit of drinking olive oil as a ruthless method of maximising calories to weight.

I am getting through the coconut oil, and think that it does give a good energy level through the day. As a breakfast shirker there is probably not much in that except for the fact that I should eat every morning.

The claims forthe coffee seem a bit far fetched but then I do like washed Arabica and think Robusta has a 'not for consumption' smell
lsjms

Postby dr.chris » Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am

I had yak butter tea once at a tibetan restaurant in London. I guess/hope it must just taste better at altitude....
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby GreenBean » Fri May 17, 2013 2:31 pm

dr.chris wrote:I had yak butter tea once at a tibetan restaurant in London. I guess/hope it must just taste better at altitude....

Not your favourite drink then. :wink:
lsjms wrote:... This struck a chord with me having adopted Mark Twights mountaineering habit of drinking olive oil as a ruthless method of maximising calories to weight.

I am getting through the coconut oil, and think that it does give a good energy level through the day....l

I guess it makes sense if you have to carry all your food up a mountain. Have you tried mixing the coconut oil with your coffee?

I love butter almost as much as I love coffee. I often have toast dripping in butter followed by coffee and frequently enjoy all butter shortbread with my coffee. I guess my stomach is very used to the mixture of coffee and butter but I have no desire at all to mix them before consumption. :?

GreenBean

Next

Return to Off Topic