Recent outages

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Recent outages

Postby phil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Folks

Apologies for the outages over the last couple of days.

The co-location company that we use, Titan Internet, were bought out a while ago, and frankly things have not been the same since.

The recent outage was caused by a re-build of the NAS (provided by Titan and shared with loads of other users) that we use for backups. It's attached to the server via an NFS mount. The work on the NAS was not announced in advance, so I was unable to take any precautionary measures.

With the backup NFS mount down, all overnight backup jobs failed. For some reason I don 't understand, the MySQL backups froze rather than crashed. Eventually, the MySQL server became locked up as all available connections were in use serving frozen backups!

TMC uses a MySQL database to store all dynamic content and to store authentication details for users. Additionally, MySQL is used to store authentication details for mail users, and is used by the SMTP mail server (Exim), as well as the POP/IMAP servers (Courier IMAP).

So TMC was down, as was the email service! As a result of the latter problem, no-one could email me to say that there was a problem! I eventually found out when my wife complained that she couldn't get her personal email.

I maintain a Gmail account as a backup to the email accounts managed by the TMC server. I've passed the details of this email account to Cakeboy. He has my phone number as well, which he knows he's welcome to use. Hopefully, this sort of problem won't happen again in the future - I have complained to Titan about their failure to notify me - but if it does, Cakeboy and the team should be able to let me know in good time.

All the best to everyone.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks for getting it sorted so quickly, Phil. Your efforts are much appreciated. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby simonp » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi Phil, thanks for the update. Hope all is well with you.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby bruceb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Thank you for your quick response, Phil. We do appreciate it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby phil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm sad to say that the rapidity of my response is down to my being once again out of contract. :cry:

The upside however is that I'm getting to spend more time with my granddaughter (born December 18th, 2012) :D
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes, thank you for sorting the outage so quickly. I should have pinged your mobile instead of emailing you and subsequently realising the server, including email, was affected.

The family addition is such good news :) So will you be changing your username now to Grandpa Phil? ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Sarion » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Thank you for all your efforts to keep TMC up and running, Phil. And congratulations on becoming a grandfather! :-)
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Return to Site Announcements