A clean cup

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A clean cup

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Well, at risk once again of receiving the ridicule I deserve I will relate the following true tale:
A few weeks ago I began noticing unpleasant tastes in my espresso shots and they were even noticeable in milk drinks. I had changed my roasting parameters recently and began to suspect that this was the cause. I went back to my old protocol, but the tastes were still there. I tried a few different beans, but they all seemed to give me that unpleasantness, aside from monsooned Malabar, that is already of a different nature. I began to think it was my taste, but then Karin said, "This coffee is, uh, kind of strange." I slunk down in my chair and grumbled that I hadn't noticed.
After a few days of this I made an AeroPress cup and it was fine. This surprised me until I suddenly remembered that I had not done a proper cleaning of my espresso machine for a few weeks.
:oops: :oops:
I actually was a bit surprised that not using machine cleaner and flushing, boiling the portafilters and baskets could make that much of a difference, but it does. What can I say?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: A clean cup

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am

bruceb wrote:Well, at risk once again of receiving the ridicule I deserve....
I actually was a bit surprised that not using machine cleaner and flushing, boiling the portafilters and baskets could make that much of a difference, but it does. What can I say?

Let the one amongst us, who has never missed their cleaning routine, cast the first stone.

bruceb wrote:... I slunk down in my chair and grumbled that I hadn't noticed.

:lol: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: A clean cup

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:43 am

Easily done, everyone has been there. At least you flushed after cleaning. We know stories of someone serving a coffee legend descaler in a drink many years ago! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso