Izzo Vivi

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Izzo Vivi

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:10 am

Just switched on my Izzo Vivi this morning and it's sounding like a steam kettle.

I left it heating up for a bit but after about five minute the Izzo was still sounding like a kettle so I've switched it off.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby AJJ » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 am

You may have to elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "sounds like a kettle", but if the machine is blowing out steam it could be that the steam boiler pressure switch has failed.

This happened to my Dalla Corte. The contactors failed on the pressure switch so the boiler kept heating and blew steam out the safety valve.

I replaced the switch with the newly designed part which is a solid state relay.
AJJ

Postby easylife » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:16 pm

What sort of noise is it making ? is it hissing or making that kind of rumbling noise a kettle makes when it starts to boil ?

If it's rumbling it may be the vacuum breaker valve is stuck closed and a vacuum has formed inside. If it's hissing it may be stuck open. Either way, worth checking.
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:39 pm

It's a hissing sound. I've had the machine just over a year and I remember it being virtually silent when I first used it.

It the started to make a very slight hissing sound on switch on which quickly went away (and i didnt worry about) but now this is very audible and was still there after around 5 mins.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby RobC » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 pm

qwerty69 wrote:It's a hissing sound. I've had the machine just over a year and I remember it being virtually silent when I first used it.

It the started to make a very slight hissing sound on switch on which quickly went away (and i didnt worry about) but now this is very audible and was still there after around 5 mins.

Sounds like the anti-vacuum valve has either a perished seal (not likely after a year) or something is stopping it seating correctly (flecks of scale) - every time you turn the machine on this valve lets expanding air out as the machine heats up - then rises to let it gain pressure - if you have ever used a pressure cooker they have a similar valve that hisses as it gains steam and rises and locks when it gains pressure - as they get older sometimes they don't seat right and need a nudge with a Knife to get a seal - not so easy on an espresso machine but the theory is still the same.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:03 am

The machine itself is over a year old but ive owned it for just over one.

It's most likely my fault as I've never descaled the machine in the time I've had it my thinking being that itd be ok as I don't use it that much (I work away from home).

I did try switching the vivi on again but I got the same noise also I have water coming out of the bottom.

I think i really need to open it up and see what's going on.

If need be does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere I could get the machine repaired?
qwerty69

Postby RobC » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 pm

You'll have a better idea by looking at what's happening with the lid off, but take care these machines tend to have alot of exposed live terminals so look but don't touch.

I believe www.bellabarista.co.uk do servicing of this manufacturers machines - so you could see about getting a quote from them for repair.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Cattytown » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:42 am

First thing is to figure out what the problem is. I suspect there are three possible options.

1. Faulty pressure stat - will leave heating element on after the boiler is up tp pressure leading to the pressure relief valve opening.
2. THe pressure relief valve is opening oo soon
3. The vacuum breaker is not closing.

What does the pressure gauge say? That will be one of the big clues.

I recently had to replace my pressure stat as it was doing (1)

Paul.
Iberital MC2
Izzo Vivi
Cattytown

Postby qwerty69 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:43 am

Still haven't fixed the Vivi which means that I haven't made a coffee at home since early in March :-(( and I really need to get it fixed.

Problem is that work is taking up so much time I simply haven't had a chance to take a look and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a repair service in Scotland (preferably near Glasgow or Edinburgh) who could take a look?
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Quick update. Going to take the Vivi to Espressoservices in Glasgow for a service but in the meantime I got the X5 out of storage and gave it a quick descale and polish as I'm sick of not being able to have espresso at home.

Ran some fresh beans through the SJ (no change to the settings) and popped then in the X5 to finish the cleaning process by seasoning everything with coffee...

...25 seconds later had a dbl espresso that looked great. Now it was meant to go down the sink but I really couldn't resist and do you know what; it tasted v good.

The moral is that when the Vivi broke down I should have got the X5 back in service straight away.

Anyhow at least I'm back in business until I get my Izzo repaired :D
qwerty69

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 am

I hope they get your Vivi fixed in the near future but it is good to know that you are back in business in the meantime. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:00 am

Just received my Izzo Vivi back, repaired and serviced, and have got it back on the countertop.

Quick question though. What should the pressure gauge sit at?

I filled the machine tonight and after a little light hissing the gauge stopped (along with any noise) just above 0.5; now it's been a while and I might be wrong but when it was working before I think it sat around 1 (ie just into the green).

Any thoughts?

Also cooling flush wise I seem to remember drawing off 10-20 seconds of water if the machine was sitting for a while. Is this about right?
qwerty69

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 am

Great to know that it is fixed at last. :D I have no experience with the Vivi so will leave recommendations to others but the optimum settings and flushing routine are really a matter of taste. The lower boiler pressure will result in lower temperature which will require less flushing.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:19 am

Switched on today and after heating up the pressure gauge is reading 0.75

Still not sure if this is optimal but as I say I can't remember where the gauge sat before?!?
qwerty69

Postby dekis » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I have a Vivi MKII and run it at 1.0-1.1 bar. Your current setting would mean the boiler is at 92C (right?) which is a little low I think?
dekis

Next

Return to Espresso