Favourite beans this year ..... so far?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Favourite beans this year ..... so far?

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:25 pm

It might be a bit less frantic round here these days but everyone is still glugging some great coffees in the background. It would be nice to have some conversation about the coffee itself. So, what is the best you have had this year so far, what made it stand out and what method of extraction did you use? Maybe you have had several stand out beans/blends? :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Favourite beans this year ..... so far?

Postby Dahtac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Square Mile's Clouds of August lot from Blackburn Estate in Tanzania is well up there, alongside their PNG Agoga.

Has Bean's Bolivia Bolinda, La Ilusion 2011-2012 and Mexico La Yerba Natural all stand out as well above the crowd.

Moving away from the UK, Wendelboe's Tekangu was riveting, Caffe Pronto's Kochere was amazing and Johan and Nystroms Gethumbwini tasted like stewed rhubarb.

Got some really sweet samples of some Ethiopian's on the way from Bailies up North, so looking forward to playing around with those.

Extraction wise, chemex, aeropress, v60, Kalita wave and so on and so forth.

Blend-wise, very few this past year. Has Bean's Jabberwocky was ridiculously good, as was Kicker.
Dahtac

Postby darrensandford » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Mexico La Yerba absolutely blew me away. I don't mind a natural, but I loved this one. Surprise of the year for me.
darrensandford

Postby bruceb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Since I almost exclusively drink espresso I am generally interested in beans that work well for that extraction method. This year I have rediscovered the joys of Brazilian beans and have had a number of delightful Daterra collections that I have really enjoyed. I generally drink them as SOs and I roast just into second crack.

I went through 5 kg of "Daterra Sweet Yellow Rain Forest Alliance" and was sad when it was gone. I now have 3 Brazilian CoEs to try and will report on them when I have done so.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby RobC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Single Origin espresso for me has been Indonesia Java Blawan, for French Press undoubtedly Yemen Mocca Matari and filter Guatemala Huehuetenango.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Chris » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Square Mile Herbazu, Naranjo, Costa Rica. Every year there are one or two coffees I miss. This is the one for this year.
Chris

Postby Dahtac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 am

Espresso or filter roast, I loved the filter but subsequent offerings on the Square Mile sub blem it out of the water. Sadly never tried the espresso, although Has Bean's Herbazu on espresso was delicious
Dahtac

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Hello, it was the filter.
Chris

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping