best milk for frothing?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

best milk for frothing?

Postby mankini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 pm

hello...whats the views on the best milk for velvety microfoam?
is it the full fat? low fat? stuff?
thanks
mankini

RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:29 am

There is certainly no single answer to this question. Everyone has their own opinion and what's more milk varies greatly throughout the year as a result of bovine dietary variations. If you search the archives here you will find seemingly endless discussions of preferences and observations. In the end you will probably have to try various milks and find the one that you prefer.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby mankini » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:50 pm

OK, thanks. I was just asking as I assumed the lower fat milk might be less likely to develop the 'cooked egg' flavour you get when overheating milk... :)
mankini

Re: RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby bruceb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:17 pm

mankini wrote:OK, thanks. I was just asking as I assumed the lower fat milk might be less likely to develop the 'cooked egg' flavour you get when overheating milk... :)

If you hold your hand underneath the jug while heating the milk and stop frothing when it becomes uncomfortable to hold you should not get an unpleasant flavour with any milk. If you have trouble deciding when to quit there are a number of small, inexpensive bimetal thermometers available with markings for the ideal milk temperature.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby davidbondy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Cravendale semi-skimmed EVERY TIME for me!

DB
davidbondy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:17 pm

We use non-homogenised semi-skimmed from a fairly local dairy, Rachel's Organic and Cravendale as all seem to be relatively consistent, though nothing offers more benefit than good technique which can bring out the best in any milk. As Bruce says, conditions often vary with milk according to time of year and so on.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby santos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:31 pm

We use semi-skimmed in my Coffee Shop and it is recognized as the best coffee shop over here.

Paul
santos

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

'Over here' being the Isle of Man for anyone travelling out that way and wanting to look up Paul for a coffee :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby santos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 pm

CakeBoy wrote:'Over here' being the Isle of Man for anyone travelling out that way and wanting to look up Paul for a coffee :)

You would be made very welcome, and a guided tour of my little factory to see how I blend my tea's plus roast coffee on my very old coffee roaster.

Paul
santos

Postby bruceb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

santos wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:'Over here' being the Isle of Man for anyone travelling out that way and wanting to look up Paul for a coffee :)

You would be made very welcome, and a guided tour of my little factory to see how I blend my tea's plus roast coffee on my very old coffee roaster.

Paul

It sounds like it's time to start making travel plans! :D
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:01 pm

CakeBoy wrote:We use non-homogenised semi-skimmed from a fairly local dairy.
Your very lucky to have such a dairy, I do wish they would stop playing around with our food!
orrinoconnor

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:08 am

Yes, though it was more by luck than judgement that we found them and they are expanding. I too wish they would stop messing with food. It just doesn't taste as good afterwards. Food is about flavour and nourishment, not squeezing the last penny of profit. At least it should be.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby dr.chris » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:34 am

Calon Wen here in Wales - non homegenised semiskimmed.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby orrinoconnor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:37 am

CakeBoy wrote: It just doesn't taste as good afterwards. Food is about flavour and nourishment, not squeezing the last penny of profit. At least it should be.

Just wait until all food is ion irradiated and "supposedly sterile", can you imagine how good that will be for the flavor and nourishment, It won't be long before we all need glass bubbles to protect us from the environment!
orrinoconnor

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: best milk for frothing?

Postby icke » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 am

soy milk with about 2.5% of sugars (mostly for the milk intolerant and vegan guests). it creates nice looking micro foam but seems to solidify very soon after pouring. it then becomes cement style foam which can be used to build little sculptures...
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping