best beans in the UK for macchiatos or flat whites?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

best beans in the UK for macchiatos or flat whites?

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 pm

hello...
i am now on the hunt for what folks could suggest for a bean or blend that will cut through milk (not massive amounts like the english like which is milk with a splash of coffee)...
i like the melbourne style cafe lates (dbl shot + small amount of milk) or the kiwi double macs (dbl shot + an even smaller amount of milk)....
the boss likes flat whites (dbl shot with a medium amount of milk)...
so what comes to mind for bold coffees that have great depth... after all the coffee is the star and not the cow juice...
:)
i have just tried union 'foundation' and monmouth 'espresso'... but they get overwhelmed a little in the milk...
thanks again...
mankini

RE: best beans in the UK for macchiatos or flat whites?

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Olaf, I haven't tried the Hasbean Blake Espresso Blend yet, but it is the one that Steve seems to speak most highly of in cutting through the milk. http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Blake ... Blend.html
orrinoconnor

RE: best beans in the UK for macchiatos or flat whites?

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks again... I hope many more suggestions will follow... i think i might order in a bag of those beans... and while i'm on the website... which of the espresso beans gets best reviews? I see theres lots of nonsense regarding 'biodynamic' beans from single estates which i think is going a bit far... good coffee shouldnt be about big words that noone understands... fairtrade yes, organic maybe, but biodynamic? crikey... :)
mankini

Re: RE: best beans in the UK for macchiatos or flat whites?

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 pm

mankini wrote:fairtrade yes,

Man! Them's fightin' words! :shock: :?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Olaf, I think Steve perhaps goes a bit beyond fair trade.
He seems to spend a lot of time on the farms and gets to know the farmers and family's.
Fair trade as we know it is perhaps not as fair as it could be it certainly has it's share of critics!

The Bolivia Finca Machacamarca are quite nice, it has been said that they were better last year, I didn't have then last year so I cannot comment further but this years crop are nice in both press and espresso.

If you like to avoid SO (single origin) beans he has a few different blends on sale, he also sells green bean's if your like to roast your own!

The postage is very competitive, for 250gms it's under £1.50 for 500gms it's under £2.00: remember to select 1st class royal mail and not special delivery for this post price!
The products are fresh and the service is very fast!

Ray
orrinoconnor

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Bruce... biodynamic means that the coffee plants, among other things are planted at night, governed by the phases of the moon... I'm not sure I need coffee planted by Rudolph Steiner principals... I'd be happy with single origin, organic and fairtrade... I cant tell the difference between a coffee planted at night or in the afternoon? ;) Methinx 'biodynamic' is just another cool buzzword for marketing purposes... But if the coffee is excellent and at a reasonable price I will give it a go... I will try massaging my beans at midnight and then grind my beans when the moon and sun are aligned... maybe I will notice a difference on the palate? :) Since I'm German I am well aware of the strong 'bio' awareness we have back home and am missing my Hofpfisterei breads...
Now... back to coffee beans...
:)
mankini

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm

I avoid most things labeled "Bio," "organic," etc. But more than that I avoid anything labeled "Fairtrade."
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Bruce... yes... fairtrade is another buzzword thats misunderstood and abused... if you trust your supplier to buy from estates that pay decent wages under humane working conditions then i suppose it makes sense... not sure my bananas and sugar from sainesburys is true to the word... :)

Is there sunshine in hessen?? Would you like to borrow my mankini to work on your tan lines?
mankini

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:08 pm

mankini wrote:Is there sunshine in hessen?? Would you like to borrow my mankini to work on your tan lines?

Yep, here's a picture of today's Hessian sunshine. :roll:

I'll pass on the mankini. A diver's suit would be more suitable. :lol:
Attachments
Feb12.jpg
A beautiful sunny day in Germany.
Feb12.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 17642 times
bruceb

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:47 pm

I agree that a mankini would be ill-advised in such a sunny location... if the mankini is accidentally worn back to front then the risk of frostbite may be a little high...
mankini

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:39 pm

mankini wrote:I agree that a mankini would be ill-advised in such a sunny location... if the mankini is accidentally worn back to front then the risk of frostbite may be a little high...

You don't need to teach Bruce anything about mankini's apparently he has quite a collection of "objet d'art" for the summer!
So far this is the only one he has cared to share with us!
Attachments
leather_shorts_194.jpg
leather_shorts_194.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 17617 times
orrinoconnor

Postby lsjms » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Monmouth does not cut 4oz milk...............

Either your shots suck or just stop the milk because there is no 'bold' espresso once mixed, if Monmouth blend does not smash milk there is no hope....
lsjms

Postby mankini » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 am

isjms: what medication are you on?
mankini

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping