Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Can caffeine kill?

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:56 am

Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

RE: Can caffeine kill?

Postby motoman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 am

Try drinking 42 cups of Coffee Nation decaf and you will kill yourself.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 pm

I am confused by this statement at the end of the article:

"When coffee does kill, the reported causes are abnormal heart rhythms, seizures and breathing in vomit."

I can understand attributing the first two to coffee but surely death by breathing in vomit would be associated with people trying to drink instant! :? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm

GreenBean wrote:I am confused by this statement at the end of the article:

"When coffee does kill, the reported causes are abnormal heart rhythms, seizures and breathing in vomit."

I can understand attributing the first two to coffee but surely death by breathing in vomit would be associated with people trying to drink instant! :? :wink:

No, that can't be right either. Instant kills you in other, more insidious ways. :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 pm

I've died a thousand deaths in years gone by drinking coffee in some shops .....
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I should imagine "breathing in vomit" to be more related to overindulgence of alcohol.
orrinoconnor

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Maybe caffeine and alcohol are the same thing, and the government conspires . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby orrinoconnor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Aadje wrote:Maybe caffeine and alcohol are the same thing, and the government conspires . . .

Government Conspires????????????? Never!
orrinoconnor

Postby dr.chris » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm

One of my favourite ever episodes of futurama was the one in which Fry drinks 100 cups of coffee in one day, so as to reach a form of enlightened state where he moves about a 100 times faster than anyone else
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Generally speaking, serious caffeine intoxication doesn't result from drinking coffee, but rather from drinking energy drinks or taking pills. Vomiting is the body's attempt to rid itself of the poison. In fact, however, vomiting might be the best thing to do after drinking some of the coffee served in the cafés around our part of the woods. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:54 pm

dr.chris wrote:One of my favourite ever episodes of futurama was the one in which Fry drinks 100 cups of coffee in one day, so as to reach a form of enlightened state where he moves about a 100 times faster than anyone else

Here he is, our man of the millennium:
Attachments
TMC_Hero.jpg
"Another Trenta, quick!"
TMC_Hero.jpg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 10620 times
bruceb

Postby DrTom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:01 pm

bruceb wrote:
dr.chris wrote:One of my favourite ever episodes of futurama was the one in which Fry drinks 100 cups of coffee in one day, so as to reach a form of enlightened state where he moves about a 100 times faster than anyone else

Here he is, our man of the millennium:

"Whale, please"
DrTom

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:48 am

Attachments
Whale Clipart.jpg
Whale Clipart.jpg (2.07 KiB) Viewed 10529 times
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Off Topic