Kettle Overshoot

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kettle Overshoot

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:22 pm

When my Zafiro went clang, I had to rapidly revise my presspot technique, so that my daily shots weren't horribly bitter. After seeing a couple of articles by James H and Mark P., it was clear that I needed to brew presspot at the same temp as the Zafiro, to avoid bitterness caused by grounds scalding.

From kettle boil to about 92C involved a time delay of about 4 minutes - perfect as this was the time it took me to grind 10g and nuke some milk.

Last week the old kettle died, so you can imagine my surprise when the new kettle produced bitterness and a surpising lack of coffee bloom. Shoving a t/couple into the kettle (at 4 minutes) showed a high temp of 97C !!

This is a puzzle as both kettles are polypoplene shell and would have equal heat retention characteristics. I guess there must be more temperature overshoot with the newer kettle. I recall "overshoot" feaures large in articles about surfing single boiler machines.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Kettle Overshoot

Postby Bombcup » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:26 pm

I don't think it would be possible for a kettle to 'overshoot' in the espresso machine sense, as it's not a pressurised boiler and it's not possible to heat water above 100*C at atmospheric pressure.

It's likely that the new kettle just retains heat longer despite appearing to be of similar construction.
Bombcup

RE: Kettle Overshoot

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 am

Sorry to hear that all your kit seems to be going pop Cumbers. Great to see you though :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Kettle Overshoot

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Perhaps "overshoot" is the wrong word to use. Don't know how large the element on the old kettle as it's probably been recycled into yogurt pots or spitfires or something. Lets just say that the new 3 Kw element kicks butt, so beware when you upgrade.

CakeBoy wrote:Sorry to hear that all your kit seems to be going pop Cumbers. Great to see you though :D

Thanks cakes but the Zafiro was only out of action for about 6 weeks but during that period I had to relearn the presspot. I discovered that scalding the grounds wasn't a good idea - obvious initt :oops:

Don't know about you, but when I awake, I feel pretty dehydrated and somehow 50ml of espresso, doesn't hit the spot. So I've swapped the mug of breakfast tea for the presspot. Never liked PP in the past, but now I realy enjoy it.

Back to espresso, from Noon onwards.

Regards
Cumbers
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Re: RE: Kettle Overshoot

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Oddly, I've been enjoying a presspot or twelve of late too having not really bothered with them before. It's funny how often we have a little fad of using a particular brewing method here. They all seem to come round in turn over and over. Good fun :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Other Brewing Methods