Where to go in Glasgow?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Sharpjd » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Saw Glasgow popped up again. Very happy to report that Artisan is up and running serving first class flat whites.

Finally I can get a great coffee when I'm in Glasgow!

Well done Artisan Roast.
Sharpjd

Postby midnight_storm » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Glasgow Roasters

Tapa Bakehouse - buy in some decent greens and then roast them in a 45min cycle! I did try to talk to them and just got stared at, thats not roasting its baked beans

italianaromacoffee.co.uk‎ - Clydebank - commercial roaster running about 3 tons a week much of it under private label - so you may not know it's theirs

thomsons-coffee.com - used to roast in Giffnock and in the city centre (a bit)

Matthew Algie - obviously

http://www.coffeechocolateandtea.com/ in argyll street - not tried them yet

artisanroast.co.uk in gibson street

and me with a hottop
midnight_storm

Postby Donnie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks for pointing out CC&T (Coffee, Chocolate and Tea) midnight_storm, as I hadn't heard of it. I visited it yesterday and had a fantastic El Salvador Las Delicias.

Also had a wee chocolate whilst there (a Salt Caramel) WOW.
Donnie

Postby al_bongo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Stumbled on this thread. Artisan sounds really interesting.

Up until now Matthew Algie, through Tinderbox has been about it. Not cutting edge for sure.
al_bongo

Postby repeat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Visited CC&T today and had a couple of fantastic lattes (house blend espresso). Highly recommend!
repeat

Postby radish » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Anyone know what's in their house blend?
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Postby Donnie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Popped along to the East End intending to give Tapa another chance, but instead ended up in Coia's Cafe. Had a double Macchiato which was so good ... I had another.

I should also like to give Celino's (Alexandra Parade) a thumbs up.
Donnie

Postby qwerty69 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 am

Been to a few more places recently most of which were quite good (details when I get home on Friday) but the standout is definitely Coffee Chocolate and Tea. This has to be the best coffee I've had in and around Glasgow :-)

If you haven't been it's well worth the visit. The house blend is great plus they make espresso from any of there single origin coffees as well.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby midnight_storm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Coia's have changed coffee supplier recently, it's local to me and does pretty much everything well.
I never seem to have time for Tapa - in a lunch hour their service is a bit slow unless I'm with my boss when it doesn't matter how long it takes. Must try their coffee again though and see if it improved.
midnight_storm

Postby wacchimacchiato » Wed May 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Enjoyed a trip down to Glasgow a couple of weeks back armed with info from this thread! so thanks guys for the postings!
I visited coffee chocolate and tea as well as artisan roast and enjoyed the coffees from both.
For me the standout offering was from c c & t whose macchiato was great as was cappa and I also enjoyed a well prepared filter too! The vibe was friendly and laid back and I enjoyed the coffee chat! (don't get the opportunity on Skye much!). I took home a bag of Indian (not monsooned) beans as I had aeropress and mazzer mini with me! This was delicious and very fresh- tons of bloom!
Artisan's did a great ristretto and the milk drinks looked good too but their filter (v60 I think) was a little underextracted for my taste. Tasty soup too!
I also picked up a hario slim ceramic hand grinder from them (can leave mazzer at home on holiday now!) which was well priced and a bag of costa rican (bright, acidic pre 2nd roast) which went down well.

Look forward to revisiting both again and perhaps some others too!
La Cimbali Junior D/1, Mazzer mini A, Cimbali cadet, Bizerba (Ditting) 903, sozen Turkish x2, Aeropress, Cafetiere's, Chemex, Stovetop(s), Bravilor novo2, Siphon TCA-5, Ibrik, Porcelain single cup filters, vitnamese filter, Turbo Crazy, Genecafe, Samiac GE 7/5 kg
wacchimacchiato

Postby qwerty69 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Stumbled on a little place called Cafe Wander. Light and airy place with good coffee and food. Another place I'll go back to.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby shm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I like Artisan in Edinburgh (where they originally roasted their beans) for coffee, but I find their beans not too consistent, so only buy their beans in emergency now.

Good to see more choice springing up in Glasgow, now. At one point it was just Tinderbox.
stuff
shm

Postby qwerty69 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 am

Another couple of places I've been recently are:

Siempre Bicycle Cafe - great cakes, v good coffee (they're using Dear Green)
Papercup Coffee Company - fantastic coffee (roasted in house). Will most definitely go back.
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:37 am

New favourite is now Papercup. Fantastic coffee and service and the foods not half bad either. Must have been there a dozen times since I found it last year.

They also run barista training evenings which I'm keen to go to, if I'm ever at home when they're on. :-)
qwerty69

Postby GreenBean » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 am

Thank you for your recommendations. You make a visit to Glasgow sound very tempting. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee