Hasbean Jailbreak

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hasbean Jailbreak

Postby guy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Hmmm...

I'm mid way through a kilo of hasbean's new Jailbreak espresso blend, and not sure what I make of it. It seems to have a lot of up-front flavour, acidity etc, and precious little body. It also seems to change its flavour day by day, with some floral notes coming in (overpoweringly so today) one day and gone the next... A local professional barista says similar things.

Though I've enjoyed it (some days!) and it's definitely good value for money, I find my observations above a bit odd for a blend that was supposed to be flexible and forgiving by design, so I wondered what others thought of it. Has anyone tried it yet?

Guy.
guy

RE: Hasbean Jailbreak

Postby mark00 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 am

I tried some today in a cappuccino so might need to try an espresso and a few more times to come to a conclusion. I found the floral note like you but not too over powering along with fruity acidity. It cut through the milk really well and left me wanting another.

Will try again later and see what I get second time around

Mark
mark00

Postby propofolpete » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I finished a bag off last week and found it a nice blend. I don't have a developed palate but that aside it gave me decent mouth pleasure (stop sniggering at the back!). Best thing was I found it consistent from cup to cup and quite forgiving of my second rate home barrista skills.
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby mark00 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I've finished the bag and rather enjoyed it I must say. The floral note disappeared after a couple of days, I started using the beans 3 days from being roasted so might be down to some settling down still odd that it was there to begin with and then not a trace.

Will be ordering some more soon :D
mark00

Postby Richard14 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 am

I'm on my first bag and enjoying it very much in an espresso. Strong, full, smooth.
Izzo Duetto, Mazzer Mini E
Richard14

Postby davidbondy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:13 am

I recently had the pleasure of having Glenn Watson visit to give me a two hour home barista course. He left most of a bag of Jailbreak with me and I have to say that I was VERY pleasantly surprised!

I couldn't believe that I would enjoy such a light roast as much as I did! Of course, having Glenn teach me how to do it properly was a great help but I would buy it again - and try roasting a shade or two darker.

Lovely caramelly taste and gorgeous mouth feel without a hint of bitterness! Really nice!

David
davidbondy

Postby triptogenetica » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 am

I've enjoyed it over a 2-week holiday, in the Aeropress and also in a jezve!

Great stuff, very forgiving - I can brew it floral to suit me, or I can make a jezve to suit my future in-laws. (Russian, prefer their coffee bitter, over-roasted, over-extracted, full of sludge :( ).
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby Rujir » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 am

So how would you suggest to brew it? Im trying everything but I still find it little bit too "fruity" (yes, I would say sour :twisted: Right now Im grinding it very fine and using 20g for a doubleshot, otherwise it tends to be underextracted. Thanks for any advice.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Not the place here but feel free to email me Rujir
Steve
Founder Member

Postby thecatinside » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 am

Rujir wrote:So how would you suggest to brew it? Im trying everything but I still find it little bit too "fruity" (yes, I would say sour :twisted: Right now Im grinding it very fine and using 20g for a doubleshot, otherwise it tends to be underextracted. Thanks for any advice.

What do you mean with underextraction? Using a high dosage usually leads to underdeveloped and underextracted coffee.

Have you tried using smaller dosages to extract more from the coffee?
Your ad here?
High traffic, Low rates.
my vimeo
thecatinside

Postby RoloD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Anybody here tried Jailbreak Mk2 yet?
RoloD

Postby gregd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Funny you ask, yes a bag arrived today! I didn't try Mk1 but Mk2 is certainly very nice. I've only had 4 cups of the stuff, 2 double espressos and 2 caps. All were really tasty, its nice and sweet, not to acidic (I sometimes struggle with acidy coffees). I found it had a rich chocolatey taste, like a nice chocolate dessert I think.
gregd

Postby RoloD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm not convinced by Jailbreak (Mk2). It's clean, interesting, slightly fruity, but I prefer coffee with a bit more body. What my girlfriend calls 'coffee flavoured coffee'.

Maybe my palate is fixed on a more traditional Italian-style espresso. Although this might be sacrilege, I prefer Happy Donkey's Classic Italian beans to most of the Hasbean blends. And it's half the price.

Of course, I could be doing something wrong...
RoloD

Postby bruceb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 pm

RoloD wrote:Of course, I could be doing something wrong...

All you are doing wrong is listening to your own taste instead of joining the opinions of others. That's what coffee should really be about. If you like something at this time then it's fine to own up to it and enjoy it. If you find that your taste changes over time, that is also fine and nothing to be ashamed of. Coffee is about taste and taste is subjective and very personal.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby mankini » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Rolo... you got off lightly, brother... last time i critiqued my experience with Hasbean beans the pack came out hunting.... You should try some of the Algerian Coffee Store beans if you want 'coffee to taste of coffee' instead of tasting of grapefruit. They have some good dark beans that really slice through the milk. I dont think their beans are as fresh as they claim and I havent found one that I really enjoy as an out and out espresso (would prefer Monmouth)... but to cut through milk Veluto Nero or Bolivian or Gourmet Noir re very good. The Veluto has a distinct smokey flavour which becomes very mellow a few days after opening so its very pleasant.
mankini

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping