Grinder for someone who is skint

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Grinder for someone who is skint

Postby MW_SW19 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:58 pm

My poor very cheap (ex ebay) grinder met a rather nasty and also expensive end last night.

To cut a long story short the kitchen cabinet fell on top of it and totally destroyed the hopper.

Now I am going to have to shell out for the repairs to the kitchen and get a new grinder.

So am on the scrounge for any recommendations as to what grinder will be best for sub £50-£60 to tide me over until I can get a decent unit.

It will be used to brew french press, vac pot and filter cones.

Thanks in advance

Mark
MW_SW19

Postby al_bongo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Solis 166, aka Starbucks Barista grnder aka Dualit. The Baratza Maestro is the same grinder in a different shell.

I think the Starbucks is the cheapest, if it's still available, though prices seem to have rocketed since I see the others I mention are about £90

Definitely worth it.
al_bongo

Postby davidbondy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:50 pm

I am selling my Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale Grinder.. It cost me £120 two years ago from Another Coffee. today it is £140.

If you can run to £75 plus the postage (or you collect from Sawbridgeworth) then it is yours.

Let me know if you're interested. Best I can do I am afraid!

David
davidbondy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 am

Bit late on this Mark, but the Bodum outlet store (located in North Oxfordshire) was selling off 'Bistro' grinders for £20 a couple of weeks ago (rrp £60). They appear to be Solis 166 esque conical burr innards, and they also have a nice glass container that helps with reducing static retention. Excellent for brewed coffee. They will ship if you phone them. Just Google for Bodum Outlet Store Oxfordshire.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby MW_SW19 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks I'll give them a call, I picked up a cusinart ginder on ebay the other day but what they had neglected to mention was they had been using it for spices.

Not happy with that.
MW_SW19

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:14 pm

No, indeed.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby awlred » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:50 am

The best value for money if you're only producing a small amount of coffee would be a hand grinder, the Hario Skerton is under £40 and given quite good regard.
UKBC Semi-Finalist 2009
|Iberital MC2|Pavoni ZIP(Borked)|Wega Max 2.6|Bodum 8-cup cafetierre|Aero Press|Eva Solo Cafe|La Pavoni EuroPiccola EP|Ocaree TCA-5 Vacpot

My Blog: http://awlred.wordpress.com

Barista at Peel&Peel Independent Coffee, 22 St Micheal's Road, Northampton
awlred

Postby TrevorH » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Ditto on the Hario Skerton - well regarded hand grinder with good quality (conical?) burr blades. Not used one myself, but have heard good things. They are available on Square Mile's site. As a hand grinder, you need a bit of elbow grease I think - and best only for smaller amounts! But decent electric burr grinders for the same price (£40) don't exist ...except maybe 2nd hand if you're very lucky. :)
http://thebeanvagrant.wordpress.com/

Work: Astoria Plus4U 3grp/Modified Anfim Super GOD (dual-preset) with doser.
Home: Mahlkonig Tanzania/Hario 480ml Woodneck/Sowden Soft Brew small/01 and 02 cup sizes plastic Hario V60/Plastic 4-hole and ceramic 3 and 2 hole one cup flat bottomed pourovers/3-6 cup Chemex/Paico Pouring kettle/Hario TCA5 syphon/Aeropress/Cafetieres/Mypressi Twist/La Pavoni Europiccola pre 2000/Stainless steel stove-top/Rancilio Rocky doserless/Ditting KR1203 (sold).
TrevorH

Postby TrevorH » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:51 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Bit late on this Mark, but the Bodum outlet store (located in North Oxfordshire) was selling off 'Bistro' grinders for £20 a couple of weeks ago (rrp £60). They appear to be Solis 166 esque conical burr innards, and they also have a nice glass container that helps with reducing static retention. Excellent for brewed coffee. They will ship if you phone them. Just Google for Bodum Outlet Store Oxfordshire.

Ooo! sounds good! :D
http://thebeanvagrant.wordpress.com/

Work: Astoria Plus4U 3grp/Modified Anfim Super GOD (dual-preset) with doser.
Home: Mahlkonig Tanzania/Hario 480ml Woodneck/Sowden Soft Brew small/01 and 02 cup sizes plastic Hario V60/Plastic 4-hole and ceramic 3 and 2 hole one cup flat bottomed pourovers/3-6 cup Chemex/Paico Pouring kettle/Hario TCA5 syphon/Aeropress/Cafetieres/Mypressi Twist/La Pavoni Europiccola pre 2000/Stainless steel stove-top/Rancilio Rocky doserless/Ditting KR1203 (sold).
TrevorH

Return to Other Brewing Methods